iriver

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Last Xmas I got an H-340, which I guess is what you're talking about.

Basically very happy with it. I have a few little "I would've done it differently" type niggles, but otherwise cool. Also, there are a few occasions when I've thought the size/chunkiness compared to an ipod is a little annoying.

You can either have it database all the tags on your audio files or you just browse folders and click on file names. I go with the latter option and find that really easy for navigating.

You can record in using the internal mic or a line-in - dunno if that would be handy. It encodes direct to MP3, but you can do it at up to 320kbps.

Maybe the only thing it's definitely worth being clear on is that it currently doesn't play DRM content. So MP3s bought off the iTunes store, for example. That doesn't affect me at all, dunno if it matters to you either.

mpc

wasteman
thanks for info. i might have to get a 20gb one instead. need to get some more Ps if i want the H-340

soundslike1981

I'd recommend looking at http://www.digmind.com/store/index_500.html , depending on your priorities. Several people I've known were looking at the iRiver because of drag-and-drop file loading (no iTunes type stuff).

The player I linked is ugly as sin, and a good inch longer and half inch wider than an iPod, but I bloody love it. I've used mine 6-10hrs daily for going on a year now with no problems, and it does everything I could want:

* 100GB (or smaller, if you don't need that much) for ~$330 (I bought and installed a 100GB HD myself and saved a lot) or a 40GB (upgradable) for $229

* truly 20hr+/- battery life on a single recharge

* plug-and-play, no copyright restrictions--upload to any friend's computer. It just acts as an external HD on a computer--no intermediating software.

* total control over how files are organised

* can record/enclde at up to 320kbps via a line in (optical included) and has a built-in voice recorder

* battery is user-replacable (no iPod type scam)

* upgradable firmware--already plays mp3, windows media, WAV, OGG, etc.

mpc

wasteman
thanks for info.

it's definitely another option. i'd need to find a uk stocker though.

there's no way i'm gonna get an ipod. they're just too awkward to navigate.

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
I got a 40 gig one earlier this year ( uk source as well, i'll try and dig out my recipt if your interested), the drag and drop file syncing is great, just so much easier than itunes or the rio equivalents, and i can actually use it as a soulseek drive and share the contents..

Its is a bit ugly, but you can skin the operating system if your feeling really geeky which is pretty natty ( just like winamp), and theres lots of illigitamate warez for it as well as the OS is firmware upgradable..

the ultimate iriver site is here: http://www.misticriver.net/boards/