The Hater's Thread

zhao

there are no accidents
this was inspired by the "what would be the worst music to hear over and over in your head" post.

things that on a good day I cannot fucking stand, and on a bad day makes me want to randomly stab people:

Meat Beat Manifesto / Jack Dangers / Tino Corp - souless, vapid, all special effects no substance pseudo-dub monkey shit.

Unkle - sounds like 4 kinds of rotten fruits blended together with fresh puke.

Roni Size, LTJ Bukem, early Spring Heel Jack - pussy ass boring ambient drum'n'bass good for retarded fat chicks on E. this is weird because recent Spring Heel Jack is very very good... I'm ofcourse refering to the free jazz records. also nothing against the MetalHeads.

Cold Cut (and a lot of shite on Ninja Tune) - Lazy quirky 50s samples + bullshit beatloops = big bowl of cat piss.

anything on Astral Werks after 1995 - just plain aweful... thinking about it makes me dry heave.

I second the Thievery Corporation and Death in Vegas... I would gas these people and their fans in an oven without blinking.

ok your turn. but let's leave out the obvious like Paul Oakenfold or Ibiza compilations... and also all the piles of garbage from other genres like that shit for brains Elliot Smith for now... and keep it within electronic / dance music. or not. whatever.

In Moll

- Anything in and around the realm of the indie-intelligentsia of hip-hop (Anticon, IDM-hybrids, etc.)

- Most stuff associated w/ the term electroclash

Woebot

i'm just full of hatred for most things most of the time. damn why am i such a fucking snob!?!

- almost every single brand of modern/indie/alt guitar rock irrespective of continent (though I have on my desk a cd of of shoe-gazing music from singapore which may prove cool....)

- any UK hip hop, especially grime which has become 'polluted' by this shit (though in past, crosses himself, have willingly subjected myself to Blackmarket Boy and Sway)

- followed swiftly by american indie hiphop, of any flavour (def jux, hieroglyphix, the roots, wotsisface2stepfanlikes etc) big broad brush, ha ha ha ha.... recently thinking mike ladd may have done a very good thing in moving to paris (that WAS a canny move!)

(NB a pattern is beginning to emerge already, musics which bear superficial resemble to the sacrosanct, but which ARE NOT, I REPEAT, ARE NOT, the real deal ;))

- all free folk (im beginning to think, somewhat arrogantly, that i may have coined this term????) ive tried, lord how ive tried: charalambdes etc etc slight weakness for tower recordings (nod to jwd) but it stops there. why wont these people wake up and smell the 21st century?

- bonnie prince billie in any incarnation whatsoever (palace etc) you ARE NOT some tuff guy out of the dustbowl. you are a self-obsessed, quite ordinary middle class kid with precious little music ability.

- country music. with the exception of bill monroe's violin, it is ACTUALLY all shit.

- new country. you're taking the piss right?

- alt.country. see previous entries.

- modern brand cubbase/pro tools "avant garde" electronica. with their electronica preset buttons. do you know how difficult it was for stockhausen to make his music? naming names: autechre.

- matthew herbert. loved around the house. liked bodily functions. can not stand the recent stuff. his smug chops really put me off and he's the architect of this completely bizarre impulse to pepper/construct essentially rather banale music with found-sound. as if somehow that makes what he's dong interesting?!?!?!? matmos are guilty of this too, why the hell does the fact you've made this house music from the sounds of surgery implements or the performance of a colonic irrigation make it interesting (although at least matmos can occasionally make wonderful music out of it. doesnt change my point though!)

- all those modern brand dance rock post-punk groups. (treading carefully, no reflection of the 'riginal impulse, right) things like erase errata, out hud etc. a thousand poorly/non-designed record sleeves.

jeez i better come back to this thread later!

Rachel Verinder

can't say that i really hate as in LOATHE, ABHOR, a lot of music (usually if it's no good i'm wearily indifferent to it rather than actively hating it), but in the case of the eurythmics i'm prepared to make an exception - gangrenous 1985 goatfuckers etc. etc.

juliand

I hate early Talking Heads and late Talking Heads. But I reserve a special rancor for those bands whose singers borrow that voice-cracking, ranter, zealot, preacher thing from Byrne: Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, Clap Your Hands, etc.

Connected: Mannerist Rustic/Gothic Americana in whatever form--whether played by Rolling stones, nick cave, the Decemberists, Okkervil River, or whoev. Real old timey.

I also hate DFA's remixes, in particular the ones of Radio 4, Le Tigre, John Spencer, just the same generic funky housey krauty thing under whatever-the-hell--toss metro area in with them please, just totally faceless

I find DJ/Rupture's mixes didactic, like I'm in the Timbaland seminar in some ethnic studies class on race, class, and hybridity--its just as bad as the world music its supposed to be the antidote to

I feel a surge of anger whenever i see the cover of the wire--it seems like its always some dude with his sad face on

I could go on but this is ridiculous

Last edited:

Rachel Verinder

have to say that these days i tend to be automatically turned off the work of any musician who is featured/praised in the wire. a sad state of affairs to be sure.

bassnation

the abyss
juliand said:
I also hate DFA's remixes, in particular the ones of Radio 4, Le Tigre, John Spencer, just the same generic funky housey krauty thing under whatever-the-hell--toss metro area in with them please, just totally faceless

don't mind some dfa, the more acidic stuff at least - but totally with you on metro area. people went nuts in the uk when they arrived and i made the mistake of buying their lp on the hype - bland vaguley disco-influenced insipid nonsense.

martin

----
1) Lethal B's "Pow", sounds like one of those awful early 90s 'fake rave' tracks you'd get for those 'chat and date' lines they used to advertise on TV at 3am. Or something on CBBC advertising GCSE learning packs.

2) Groove Armada - "At the River" - slush, torturous, the first time I've ever heard a "smug" bassline

3) Gatecrasher trance - this doesn't even sound good on drugs. Hippie bullshit. True fact - I nearly gatecrashed Gatecrasher in Sheffield and one of their bouncers threatened to fill me in.

4) Wolf Eyes - the poor man's Ramleh

5) Ramleh

6) DJing full stop

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i fucking hate Abba, Come on Eileen and Robbie Williams' Angels. They're the ultimate wedding standards and they make me want to self harm. or hurt the deejaaaay ("this one goes out to all the laydees." arggh.).

gumdrops

i hate all these early 80s post punk revivalist groups, most indie rock too, actually, especially the fact that people keep hyping them up as being really great and exciting when theyre usually just shit rehashes (this is exacerbated because i have to listen to radio one at work), i also hate a lot of wasteman MCs and producers in grime who all sound alike. i love dexys but hate robbie williams!

gumdrops

i also reserve hate for:
hip hop tracks with R&B singers on the chorus
R&B tracks with cameos from rappers