Fred vom Jupiter

Woebot

If you havent heard the "Verschwende Deine Jugend" Compilation of German New Wave and Punk yet, buy or steal a copy. Its a classic compilation.

My favourite track on it is called "Fred Vom Jupiter" by Andreas Dorau & die MARINAS. My taste in NDW does lean towards the "catchy" (shall we say). Of course, prepare yourself for cultural sterotype, the Germans do austere fabulously, perfectly even, but its when the underground sound becomes poppy that all that austerity gains it's charm. Like Kraftwerk innit. Sublimely catchy but mechanik and precise (dont know if you know the Eddie Izzard sketch about "very precise instruments")

Fred Vom Jupiter has this chugging clanking steam zug propulsiveness. Much like the toy rocket on the sleeve might sound, with just the faintest edge of over-precision. Ally this with the swoony, off-the-mark, plaintive voices of (I learnt, REAL CHILDREN) and the concotion is irrestistible. This might well be the raindrop distilliation of all that was wonderful about Mouse on Mars. It was a big hit this track!

Also got me to thinking what an incredible label ATA TAK was/is:

http://www.atatak.com/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.atatak.com//e/ehome.html

If you havent got a copy of Pyrolator's "Ausland" or Der Plan's "Geri Reig and the Normalette" get thee hence.

Have a look at the kids on the back sleeve. Aw, dont they look cute!

3underscore

Yeah, one of the first ten releases on Mute over here as well. Dorau has become one of the most interesting artists I have found for some time over the past year. His tunes are so catchy, it is incredible. A personal favourite to play out is "Ist es nun mal?" which is just an earworm of the greatest order.

Also, he recently re-emerged with a colab on kompakt pop with koenke ("durch die nacht") which is a treasure. Well worth digging into if you haven't before.

polystyle

Jupiter

DJ 's here used to play that song every night @ The Mudd Club ,
made us smile in between "Contort Yourself" and Daf

SMorlighem

Aha, Matt into Dorau, at last :p
Check any Andreas Dorau record before 1989 (Blumen und Narzissen, Die Doraus & Die Marinas geben offenherzige....., Demokratie)

He also made a beautiful record with Holger Hiller, Gute Morgen Hose.

Tim F

Let us not forget Dorau's awesome and none-more-poppy "Girls In Love". Damn I should have put that on a cd for Catherine.

owen

i adore 'fred vom jupiter', not least for its use of the name 'fred' and making it sound kind of sexy (surprisingly sexy genre in general, neue deutsche welle)....have been meaning to get his kohncke (how do you do umlauts on keyboards anyone?) collabs...price of 12"s y'know

J

jimbackhouse

Fred Vom Jupiter - one of the greatest pop records ever!!!

ata-tak have put out 3 dvds covering their videos and film work from 1980 - the late 90s. there's two andreas dorau videos on volume 1, including 'die welt ist schlecht', which is amazing, and very much 'of its time' (by no means a bad thing)

http://www.atatak.de/

it also includes the aforementioned 'guten morgen hose' with holger hiller.

amazing label!

geeta

ooh!

the dorau/kohncke collab 'durch die nacht' from 2004 is beautiful. on that new optimo mix 'psyche out', gavin & delia's 'rise (dfa mix)' slowly morphs into dorau/kohncke's 'durch die nacht', and it sounds incredible.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
owen said:
how do you do umlauts on keyboards anyone?
If you're using Windows, hold down the alt key and type the appropriate four digit code.

The relevant ones are

0228 ä
0235 ë
0246 ö
0252 ü

Schönberg! Mötörhead!

Not sure if this works outside Windows.