Stravinsky

owen

i would love to see rite of spring...one of the v few bits of 'serious' music that i enjoy as much as er, 'not-serious' music, reminds me of mingus' more skronky things for some reason...or even 'loveless', all those layers, rhythm that doesn't really sound like rhythm

and despite being on many things a fully paid up adornoist, for me 'rite' kicks schoenberg's wispy expressionist arse every time

but the proms?? isn't that tantamount to filling out an application to join the tory party?

labrat

hot on the heels of love
i've heard a pianola version of the rite of spring thats great.
the Proms is much of whats mediocre about english life amplified then televised for all to see....
as we know most classical music is toss ( there are good elements i know) but this pompous smugfest is likley to kill any enthusiasm on contact.
nausiating.

as we know classical music is toss

Do we? I didn't know that. Maybe i'm not punk enough. I must review the situation.

I have been listening mainly to music of the 'classical' period this year. What can i say, I got over the counter culture.

Dismissing it as toss is a bit weird. A lot of people do it. Seen through the eyes of classical music, a lot of the modern musical landscape comes off looking quite banal and, more importantly - boring.

In our age we need shit filters - plucking up the curiosity to work out the classical music you like (and there is some you like - this is the entire spectrum of modern instrumentation and composition here) is a great musical shit filter.

To those who say classical music isn't relevant to us (and there's quite a few of them):

You are relevant. Whatever you do is relevant. If you choose to listen to Schubert's last piano sonata, then that's relevant.

The Proms are broadcast - you don't have to show up.

Last edited:

ambrose

the proms are a cheap way to see a whole bunch of stuff. maybe you are getting confyused with the last night of the proms which doesnt seem to bear much resemblance to anything else. i dont really see what is tory about the proms., explain pls?

Diaz

techno and classical both suffer from a weird form of insideritis where it all sounds the same unless you are actually paying attention to what is "supposed" to be important. kind of funny, how hard it is to tell the difference between various composers as well as between levels of quality.

also, as regards any discussion of the importance, relevance or social power of music, rites of spring is a pretty awesome example of music-as-power-expressing-itself in the streets. man. if breakcore were really breakcore wouldn't it be causing riots? *sigh*

what the hell are the proms, incidentally? i doubt the BBC hosts high school dances to stravinsky, although that would be funny and to my mind, a very British way of missing the point.

nonseq

Le Sacre is sublime (both aesthetic category and judgement). The best version is Gergiev (conductor) with Kirov Orchestra on Philips - the wildest, heaviest rendering of this masterpiece.

ambrose

"techno and classical both suffer from a weird form of insideritis where it all sounds the same unless you are actually paying attention to what is "supposed" to be importan"

surely that goes for anything?

i dont know anythign about indie/rock, couldnt tell the killers from the kills or the bravery or maximo park or the futureheads. it literally all does sound the same to me. but for those who are into it there are worlds of difference between some of those bands, for instance.

proms = promenades

the idea is you sell cheap tickets (£4.00!) to be able to wander about/stand. seated tickets about normal prices.

Last edited: