Sir Richard Bishop

3underscore

So, after quite some wait (and a cancelled tour by SCG), we finally get a Sun City Girl on these shores. Surely some dissensus folk will be along at this one?

I would have been really keen to see how this was received in Glasgow, where he is playing at optimo, but I get the feeling that it will be incredibly special come-what-may.

zhao

there are no accidents
not sure how keen dissensus folk are on the psychedelic acoustic Delta-blues...

but I personall love this guy. and Jack Rose and Junguns and all those "Wooden Guitar" people. all beautiful haunting minor-keys and virtuoso picking in an extended Middle East meets Mississippi mystical vibe...

what is your favorite recording of Mr. Bishop's? is Salvador Kali amazing? that's the one I don't have...

zhao

there are no accidents
and which Sun CIty Girls is not to be missed? I don't know anything about them.

jwd

'Salvador Kali' is the ONE I think - esp. for the gorgeous piano piece that he drops midway through the disc. But all SRB is good. Definitely go see him - I had the chance earlier this year in Melbourne and it was fantastic, he has a good sense of humour, hopefully will pull out some surprising old Sun City Girls cuts (he regularly does tracks from "Torch of the Mystics", and I got to see him do "Horse Cock Phepner" and one of the songs from the Paris 1942 LP.)

jwd

Sun City Girls not to be missed - unfortunately many classics are out of print. Try to get:

Torch of the Mystics
330003 Crossdressers From Beyond the Rig Veda
Kaliflower
Valentines From Matahari
Bright Surroundings, Dark Beginnings
Live From Planet Boomerang

...I've always been fond of Piasa: Devourer Of Men too. Some of their other solo projects - incl. some Alvarius B sides - are well worth following up. Then there's the Sublime Frequencies discs they release...

I lost track w/some of the more recent SCG discs but am sure there would be plenty of greatness in there.

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for the S.C. Girls mini primer (is that a real word or a Wire word?), must investigate.

I have many of the Sublime Frequencies discs. some are not so good, some are mind blowing. in the mind blowing category is the Sumatra Pop vol. 1 and 2.