KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Seth Lakeman - Kitty Jay
Coldplay - X&Y
Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike

3underscore

Should keep all on here happy!

well, it's going to be won by MIA, isn't it?!

I will pick up the bookies odds for this thread now...

3underscore

Right - my bloody firewall blocks all gambling sites with odds on, but - weirdly - Kaiser Chiefs are quoted at 4-1f according to the guardian. How the judges would ever go for another Franz Ferdinand I would never know.

Anyone else able to put up odds? This may be labrat's "couldn't care", but I have reliably made money out of the Mercury...

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Money?

money you say?
all of a sudden....
who do i bet on (it's generally the "worthy" one right?)

3underscore

Odds are

At William Hill

4-1 Kaiser Chiefs
6-1 KT Tunstall
6-1 Coldplay
6-1 Bloc Party
8-1 Magic Numbers
8-1 Hard Fi
10-1 Maximo Park
10-1 MIA
10-1 Anthony & Johnsons

12-1 Bar

tryptych

waiting for a time
I saw Polar Bear yesterday, randomly on a little outdoor stage outside the National Theatre. Thought they were quite good, although the stupid bloke with laptop and joypad really didnt add anything to the live musicians. Ho hum.

3underscore

spackb0y said:
I saw Polar Bear yesterday, randomly on a little outdoor stage outside the National Theatre. Thought they were quite good, although the stupid bloke with laptop and joypad really didnt add anything to the live musicians. Ho hum.

Something in the recesses of my mind tells me Polar Bear will be in trouble. I am sure no-one here will seek to confirm this as it is an embarrassing Scottish music scene (1996-2003) memory call. I am pretty sure that Snow Patrol were originally called Polar Bear, and forced to change their name by some American artist of the same name. Hence their first album was “Songs for Polar Bears”.

Unless it was this Polar Bear that complained. Anyone??!

D

droid

I think Snow Patrol still exists. No idea who they are but their name seems to blight the billboards and radio waves. Played in Dublin a while ago possibly?

tryptych

waiting for a time
^ hah yes they still exist - they actually got pretty big in mainstream indie last year - did a headline gig at Somerset House. They're pretty rubbish, I think...

Anyway... according to their website, Polar Bear was "a title also being used by ex-Jane's Addiction bassist, Eric Avery. When the threat of a lawsuit loomed... [they] had a rethink and went for the equally wintry Snow Patrol."

So.. trouble ahead for poor Polar Bear?

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
where is skinnyman's 'council estate of mind'?

i suppose lyrics like 'to all the a&rs: fuck your hooks' were a little strong for the sensitive ears of the music industry elite who pick the nominees blah blah...

mms

sometimes
qwerty south said:
where is skinnyman's 'council estate of mind'?

i suppose lyrics like 'to all the a&rs: fuck your hooks' were a little strong for the sensitive ears of the music industry elite who pick the nominees blah blah...

it was too latei think -anyway first off the record label has to nominate the act - this may no hve ever happened - its all over radio one - jesus the whole world of music is so complicit nowdays.
i think in this weeks music week there is a list of the judges etc .
music week is a thoroughly interesting read both harrowing and depressing and strangely hopeful as its a quick route into the mechanisims innit

mpc

wasteman
no nomination for the roll deep album!?!?!?!?!?

mwahahahahahhahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaa.

i'm gonna stick 7 quid on bloc party.

S

simon silverdollar

the go team should win it.

roll deep don't need to be nominated cuz they're gonna be number 1 this sunday. you heard it here first. or may be you didn't.

mms

sometimes
mpc said:
no nomination for the roll deep album!?!?!?!?!?

mwahahahahahhahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaa.

i'm gonna stick 7 quid on bloc party.

probably too late innit - yep block party or kaiser fkn chiefs

mpc

wasteman
Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV

not only an awful name for a band, but possibly the worst album title i have ever seen. look out for them.