Sensational

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Any opinions on this Wordsound veteran rapper? Now on his sixth album, he's still yet to complete his first rhyming couplet, which is something of a weakness. His boasts about "my flow's hot" are clearly nonsense, and yet I do like his beats a lot- getting tighter and weirder on the new album.

It's just annoying that, for me, he can't rap about anything remotely sensible.

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
Any opinions on this Wordsound veteran rapper? Now on his sixth album, he's still yet to complete his first rhyming couplet, which is something of a weakness. His boasts about "my flow's hot" are clearly nonsense, and yet I do like his beats a lot- getting tighter and weirder on the new album.

It's just annoying that, for me, he can't rap about anything remotely sensible.

fascinating and akwardly amazing but not for an album - he was famously the mad element behind the jungle bros 'j beez with the remedy wasnt he?'

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Yes, that's the guy- he called himself Torture then. Strange album though, J Beez Wit Da Remedy as I remember- they watered it down a lot, took all the really good stuff off there. The outtakes from that album are amazing; the in-takes, so to speak, are a bit dull really.

Totally agree a whole album of Sensational can be a bit too much. There's an amusingly vitriolic review of his new album at Brainwashed halfway down this page . One of those reviews that makes you think "that must be worth listening to at least once....". Which would be correct.

Kuma

The Konspirator
^
Retired after the most recent release, a dvd showcase on the label.
I think Skiz just had enoungh..

zhao

there are no accidents
just like that? no more crooklyn dub compilations? no more hiphop that makes you turn green? damn... must be tough out there in the indie music biz...

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I believe their parting shot was a kind of film about the underground music biz, about how hard it is, staring Sensational. Heavily autobiographical, probably quite interesting actually, but something of a melancholy thing.

I do like a lot of illbient stuff actually. Some of it sounds appalling of couse, especially Spooky, but I still like the likes of We.

zhao

there are no accidents
We! I miss We... that first album was ace. so was the second. third wasn't so hot.

Raz Mesenai or Badawi is a real interesting cat that jumped out of the illbient bag... with his middle eastern obsession and real diverse output. it might take more than him to fill the late Muslim Gauze's shoes though...

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
it's a freaky alert y'all

I know what you mean about a whole album being too much but I think sensational is in a league of his own. anyone heard his first wordsound album? pure lo-fi dopeness. all the vocals on headphones... all the beats slow and low with crazy time slips and weird ass syncopation but funky as fuck. Definately repetitive though. I used to always drop a couple sensational tracks when i dj'd weird experimental nights a few years back + people loved it... of course half the room were stoned :) he may not bust couplets but he does have some great lines... not something I listen to alot since I stopped smoking weed everyday though to be honest! I miss wordsound and the shit that was happening around the time of electric ladyland 4 - 6 (mille plateaux)... some awesome musique concrete / illbient dubfuck whatever u wanna call it... had a chance to see Spectre and Sensational in Tokyo last november on my birthday but it woulda been a solo mission and I went on a date with my now girlfriend instead. I wonder what it woulda been like... anyone seen em live?

Oh yeah, I havent seen the wordsound documentary but I got the crooked dvd when it came out... funny shit if yr a wordsound fan... semi-fictional... sensational plays himself tryin to get a deal, cutting dubplates to rhyme over at open mics, selling weed + crack, , mr dead plays a crack cook, antipop are at the open mic doing "sugarworm" live... you should check it out.

john eden

male pale and stale
I watched "Crooked" last night and enjoyed in a "lo-fi cult film which goes on a bit but I wouldn't watch it with my partner because she would rip the piss out of me" way.

Sensational is very good in it.

Is the documentary any cop?

PeteUM

It's all grist
It's a bit of an own goal for Wordsound, in my opinion, albeit informative. Skiz comes across as a nice guy whose ethusiasm leads him to bankroll everything from the occasionally godlike genius of Sensational (for whom these typing fingers have once skun-up) to various bobbins which I won't name.

Clubberlang

Actually listening to O.H.M. right now. Wordsound was good stuff if a bit in it's own little molasses slow beats world which I guess is an acquired taste. I can't actually listen to an entire Sensational album myself, but in small doses he can be startling good.

Apparently Skiz is going to be doing the 33 1/3 book on Enter the 36 Chambers which sounds like it should be awesome.

john eden

male pale and stale
Dunno if people have seen this, but a good chance to donate if you ever downloaded any of that Crooklyn stuff:

SCOTTY HARD INFO

As some of you may or may not know, Scott Harding (a/k/a Scotty Hard) was in a bad accident this past February. The road to recovery is long and hard and as has been noted before, "Legal resolution of insurance settlements will take a long time, and there is no way to know what the long term financial picture will look like. In the meantime there is rent due, mixing console payments to be made, a myriad of bills to pay to keep creditors at bay etc, not to mention medical and legal bills that will start to come in."

If you wish to make a donation or just to keep abreast of the various benefits that are going on for Scott, please go to ScottyHardTrust.com

Thank you for your support.

nochexxx

harco pronting
sensational nochexxx

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

gumdrops

prince pauls psychoanalysis, and the subterranean hitz comps were all good. shame what happened to sh fernando and the label - last i heard he was just working a regular 9 to 5 and had quit the label and the music biz.

mms

sometimes
Yes, that's the guy- he called himself Torture then. Strange album though, J Beez Wit Da Remedy as I remember- they watered it down a lot, took all the really good stuff off there. The outtakes from that album are amazing; the in-takes, so to speak, are a bit dull really.

Totally agree a whole album of Sensational can be a bit too much. There's an amusingly vitriolic review of his new album at Brainwashed halfway down this page . One of those reviews that makes you think "that must be worth listening to at least once....". Which would be correct.

there is that mad as fuck ep by him and the jbees under the name crazy wisdom masters on black hoods, absolute mania.
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/1057

i've never really got over how high and mighty brainwashed reviews are and how they miss the point of almost anything most of the time.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
there is that mad as fuck ep by him and the jbees under the name crazy wisdom masters on black hoods, absolute mania.
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/1057

i've never really got over how high and mighty brainwashed reviews are and how they miss the point of almost anything most of the time.

The hiphop 'Smile'! I genuinely believe that the course of musical history and thus the history of THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE would have changed if Warners hadn't been such pricks. And who exactly is mourning the death of the music industry?

This track is just berserker berserk.

http://www.divshare.com/download/5303444-05b

Sooooo out there, it was JUST what I woulda wanted to be playing around that point, it would have primed the release of '36 Chambers' so well.

One Louder

Wild Horses
sensational is a genius.
if you look at some of the other mavericks the hiphop 'nuum has turned out (Ramellzee, ODB, Bigg Juss etc), then his approach isn't that unusual, just idiosyncratic.
I certainly prefer him to the gallons of MOR sludge that passes for Hip Hop these days.

nochexxx

harco pronting
^
Retired after the most recent release, a dvd showcase on the label.
I think Skiz just had enoungh..

this is untrue, wordsound is alive and kicking. in fact there's another EU tour with spectre, sensational and kohei coming up this october.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah they toured / are touring europe with sensational. very sad that i missed them both in berlin and tilburg.

i hope it's not just because they need money for drugs and signals a return to making bugged out beats.