My 3D Modelling.

Woebot

Quite deep into Maya now (wanted to have it pretty tight by the end of 05) I've done a wee course, worked through the lias beginners bundle DVDs and have started with the 'Intermediate" modelling tutorials. Thats alot of hard work people.

I dont expect you ever say my Winston Churchill TM comics, cos I never posted them online, but here are my first and second attempt at modelling Winston.

The first one looks right, but there are way too many polygons and the thing would never hold together were I to animate it:

Last edited:

Woebot

The second one doesnt look so hot right at the moment but it's actually a prper bit of modelling, and very close to being finished:

sufi

lala
winston & i go way back innit
very glad to see him reappear in fine fettle

#
nuff 3rd eye bizniss seen
#

Last edited:

jd_

He that's cool you are trying 3d. I don't know anythign about Maya, but if it's like max at all you'll need more polys in the elbows so the joints deform right. It's easy enough to cut them in later if you need them (depnds on the animation you are doing)but you'll probably have to rig it again.

jd_

Yeah, looking at it again, in the knees and fingers and probably the shoulder too.

john eden

male pale and stale
I know nuffink about all this stuff but as a huge fan of your comics I'm very pleased to see you pursuing this kind of thing. Looks great - sparks off some imaginings about what the final results will be... cool.

monkeysblood

born to cry
just looking through some older threads..

how's it all coming on matt?

here's something my wee brother's been doing. not sure what he uses, but i have to give him props 'cos doing this shit would drive me mental.

Woebot

monkeysblood said:
just looking through some older threads..

how's it all coming on matt?

here's something my wee brother's been doing. not sure what he uses, but i have to give him props 'cos doing this shit would drive me mental.

you're brother's stuff looks pretty awesomely complicated! i'm determined to keep it basic :0 though to have some dynamic fun with the animation- when i can finally get round to bringing this fucker to life.

ha! well i'm getting somewhere, the 3d modelling aspect is a bit easier. rigging is the complete mutherfucker. damn its complicated! i've pretty much decided to can this model, go back remodel it with Nurbs, convert them to PolyQuads, then rig it again. i found this freebie dl from the maya site which tells you all about modelling and rigging for cartoon characters (stretch/squashy deformations and that sent me back to the drawing board too) it'll be another year before i've got where I want to be with maya, but i've put in a really solid year getting this far, and thats good i suppose.

Last edited: