skepta- good...or gash?

S

simon silverdollar

obviously his beats are good. but his MCing? there are def. two schools of thought there. me, i reckon he's got nice lyrics, quite funny, quite elaborate, but he has such a disappointing, boring voice- this monotone drone. he's like the new footsie.

mpc/prancehall and any other skepta fans, back yr man and then we'll kick the war off.

gumdrops

i like the way he reaches for the 'schete. he says 'go on then go on then go on then' quite well too.

mpc

wasteman
is simon caling out my name? i've got skepta's phone no. ya know...

skepta's got more bars than Nestlé. i don't think his voice is boring at all, but i'm also a fan of footsie (come on, he's the third best in newham generals...that's pretty good, isn't it?)

S

simon silverdollar

course i'm calling out yr name john, just like logan did. :)

'go on then go on then' is the worst MC gimmick going i think. i mean, compare it to the classics- 'list-ennn', or 'dir-ty-ty', or, 'owwwlll, i mean! owwwl i mean!' and it doesn't come close.

if you listen to the wiley remix of when i'm ere, as soon as skepta comes in the energy level just drops. and it's annoying that he ALWAYS seems to be on the roll deep rinse set, without fail.

the only reason skepta got anywhere in his MCing is cuz he's a top boy producer. if an unknown came with a flow like his, they'd get, uh, air.

ryan17

he may not be the most creative lyrically or have the best voice, but he does know how to pace himself really well over a beat. i think skepta - 'single' (LoTD 3) is such a big tune. he does a good job with the chorus. but then again i think flirta d is really fucking awesome so maybe my opinion is a little off balance to begin with.

mpc

wasteman
i've got skepta's phone number. ya don't wanna step to me.

if i've got beef, skepta's gonna back it.

skepta's flow is big. AND he's not even from st lucia. he's from nigeria.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I wasn't too keen on Skepta for a long time. His "drive on a two year ban" lyrics to When I'm Here sounded cold and calculated in a way I just didn't get. But since then I've liked him more and more, particularly that line about liking all kinds of girls "as long as they're born in the early 80s". That was hilarious.

There's loads more variation in his voice than Footsy, I think. Footsy always sounds like he's straining a bit ("you get BARE right hooks BARE left hooks" -repeat). Skepta's voice sounds more controlled I reckon. Mind you Footsy did make me laugh a while back by calling himself "Captain Hook".

S

simon silverdollar

ryan17 said:
he may not be the most creative lyrically or have the best voice, but he does know how to pace himself really well over a beat. i think skepta - 'single' (LoTD 3) is such a big tune. he does a good job with the chorus. but then again i think flirta d is really fucking awesome so maybe my opinion is a little off balance to begin with.

i've not heard lotd3 yet- i'll check that track out.

i see flirta d as kind of the anti-skepta. with lyrical prowess abandoned to make way for this larger than life character who knows that weird noises are more than enough.

C

captain easychord

lash city

skepta is amazing i think.

i like the way he subtly shifts the particulars of his lyrics whilst maintaning the broader structure e.g. "go on den draw for the: cheti, stick etc."

i dunno about this biz with him having a poor voice, i think he's the number one radio guy. like did anyone catch that garna set with him, jammer, krafty et al where he's like "skepta in the building right now, the african bastard". he just knows how to host.

and honestly, he's been bringing vibe to the roll deep sets. compare them now to the days immediately before JME and skepta started coming on, which are quite dry by comparison

oh yeah, one more word "SHOWERFACE".

my opinion....

skepta is big. I can't really stand these gun lyric mc's but he makes me crack the f*** up sometimes and he definately has menace on the mic. Im jus surprised that he went away for so long then comes back, RIGHT BACK, spitting, in roll deep and releasing tunes. He must have been resting lol.

outraygeous

his bars where he name checks everyone in the scene are deep
hes got hype when hes spitting, his stage precense gets people going.

also the fact that hes just started spitting gets the other mcs going aswell, he hypes the other mcs

C

captain easychord

WOEBOT said:
skepta is a bit derivative production-wise (cough, wiley). but he's solid.

it's true, i keep waiting for him to come back with some DTI breakbeat shit but he's defnitely adopted wiley's style.

S

simon silverdollar

i've heard 'single' now, and it's gash!
there is something numbingly boring about skepta's voice- how can he make the Ice Cream riddim sound so pedestrian and flat?

Last edited by a moderator:

cooper

captain easychord said:
it's true, i keep waiting for him to come back with some DTI breakbeat shit but he's defnitely adopted wiley's style.

has he got new productions? i was just assuming those were all wiley riddims he's on now.

ryan17

simon silverdollar said:
i've heard 'single' now, and it's gash!
there is something numbingly boring about skepta's voice- how can he make the Ice Cream riddim sound so pedestrian and flat?

ouch.