Jamie Lidell

michael

Bring out the vacuum
His new album 'Multiply' sounds great, I reckon.

Pretty trad riffings on different funk flavours, with a touch of the kind of bananas effects and rhythmic stumbling that earlier releases had.

I wish it was summer in the Southern Hemisphere.. seems like a great sunny day album.

I really liked that second Super_Collider album, but in some ways it's almost a relief to hear Lidell's vocals in a more straight-up (and Herbert free :p ) context. Whether this means it'll stand up to as many listens as 'Raw Digits' is hard to say...

zhao

there are no accidents
if it's not summer in the southern H then what the hell is it??? winter???

9PM here in LA and things are just beginning to cool down a bit. I wish it was autumn already!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
confucius said:
if it's not summer in the southern H then what the hell is it??? winter???
Yeah, it's winter here. Pretty mild in Australia compared to my hometown in NZ.

Are you telling me you don't go to the beach at Christmas time?? Weirdos. ;)

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
adelaide has been freezing but its getting better.

ps jamie lidel's voice on this album very soulful. (very cliche but in a good way)
strange to hear after his goofy live beatboxing workouts.

AshRa

I've only heard one new Jamie Lidell song (off the Specialten DVD mag) and I have to say that the comparisons with Prince really left me scratching my head... I fast forwarded it after about 60 seconds :eek:

jed_

Rachel Verinder said:
didn't herbert produce the new album?

no, Lidell does all his own solo production work. herbert co produced one track on the second super_collider album which was mostly produced by Christan Vogel - or was it a Vogel/Liddel co-production? and Lidell sung a couple of Herbert Big Band tracks.

mms

sometimes
jed_ said:
no, Lidell does all his own solo production work. herbert co produced one track on the second super_collider album which was mostly produced by Christan Vogel - or was it a Vogel/Liddel co-production? and Lidell sung a couple of Herbert Big Band tracks.

akshurly one track is produced by mocky.
i like the production esp on when i come back around .
he's a frekin funny one.

nonseq

I liked his (current) live show but I never listen to the supercollider album (the first one), too freakish for a nice listening experience.

dozer

he's yet another example of Warp heading in the wrong direction. maximo park up for the mercury prize? bollocks

at least there's a BoC release on the horizon...

dozer

mms

sometimes
dozer said:
he's yet another example of Warp heading in the wrong direction. maximo park up for the mercury prize? bollocks

at least there's a BoC release on the horizon...

dozer

he;s been on the label for 10 years or so - i like that album alot, it's better than i initially thought it was and his live show is proper amazing - he's a funny sod tho - schitzo really.
would agree maximo park are shite and a right bunch of plums tho - but mercury prize is nothing ever to get pissed off or excited about eh?

anyway look out for jackson i reckon

michael

Bring out the vacuum
mms said:
anyway look out for jackson i reckon

Yeah really looking forward to Jackson. I never heard his EP, but got so obsessed with that M83 remix.

Warp don't really have a "direction", I reckon. Obviously they are best known for releasing the big hitters of IDM, but it's really been a long time since they started releasing various singers and bands, e.g. Jimi Tenor, Stereolab, Broadcast, Red Snapper, Plone... That would all have been before the first Boards of Canada album Warp put out (if my brain's not playing tricks).

That first solo Lidell album on Warp was bloody odd. Much stranger than either Super_Collider album.

mms

sometimes
michael said:
Yeah really looking forward to Jackson. I never heard his EP, but got so obsessed with that M83 remix.

Warp don't really have a "direction", I reckon. Obviously they are best known for releasing the big hitters of IDM, but it's really been a long time since they started releasing various singers and bands, e.g. Jimi Tenor, Stereolab, Broadcast, Red Snapper, Plone... That would all have been before the first Boards of Canada album Warp put out (if my brain's not playing tricks).

That first solo Lidell album on Warp was bloody odd. Much stranger than either Super_Collider album.

Yeah i think it was around the same time really. Llabels just get known for releasing a certain type of music in the press or whatever by people who want to box them in, but from release to release on a good label its hardly ever true . You can say that about any good label apart from ones that sit firmly inside genres and represent localities and styles, ie someone like ur, or aftershock.

Its only if they have one person or a small group of people driving them that labels develop a sort of memetic aesthetic that runs through things they release .

zhao

there are no accidents
mms said:
Llabels just get known for releasing a certain type of music in the press or whatever by people who want to box them in,

Its only if they have one person or a small group of people driving them that labels develop a sort of memetic aesthetic that runs through things they release .

and don't forget those 2 Vincent Gallo records. a real shocker to me when they came out on Warp (in a good way).

respect for open mindedness on the part of the curators, but it surely serves a purpose to keep a label aesthetically consistent and homogenous. afterall, that's what sub-labels and sister-labels are for (releasing things that don't quite fit).

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
and don't forget those 2 Vincent Gallo records. a real shocker to me when they came out on Warp (in a good way).

respect for open mindedness on the part of the curators, but it surely serves a purpose to keep a label aesthetically consistent and homogenous. afterall, that's what sub-labels and sister-labels are for (releasing things that don't quite fit).

well i guess people who own labels can do what they want really, they do it afterall

3underscore

confucius said:
it surely serves a purpose to keep a label aesthetically consistent and homogenous. afterall, that's what sub-labels and sister-labels are for (releasing things that don't quite fit).

Y'see, this is where I entirely disagree. I find labels doing multiple sublabels really annoy me. For example, Playhouse, Klang and Perlon manage to be pretty varied on one label. Kompakt think they need about ten to cover everything. I mean, was there really a need for Kompakt Pop? Heads up to warp for being a label that releases what they want on one label.

mixed_biscuits

Listening to Multiply at the weekend, I think Jamie Lidell is too self-regarding to be an engaging soul singer - most of his songs seem to be about himself: bluesy introspection or strutting funk fodder rather than soul, perhaps. Great soul songs draw others in, implicate others in their world; Lidell's don't.

Can't find any reviews that look closely at the lyrics, rather than taking the content as read, having been given the standard signifiers. Annoying.

(Low impact venting)

The whole package comes of as synthetic, second-hand soul music - his movements, his arrangements, his vocals. Everything.

It is particularly painful to watch an average singer who strains to be/thinks he's great. :(

Sadly there is an over-abundance of these people in British music.

mms

sometimes
he's been brilliant live, building tracks from scratch, going into overdrive, his music and live performances have suffered since he got more into a more 'soulman' thing.
i really don't thnk he sees himself as a genuine soulman and there is a real overblown sense of surface and performance to what he does, there always has been going back to his group with christian vogel, super collider.

optimum

Poochie
Largely agree with mms. I saw him earlier this year and had a really good time. His band were really 'tight' (hate that phrase) and his voice was pretty good. He also did have a segment where the band left and he looped/delayed his voice while doing 4/4 stuff on a sampler. Yeah, his previous stuff may have been more interesting but he still puts on a really good show imo. The album he released this year had some amazing tracks on it too, esp. 'Green Light'.