john tejada- the people need a primer!

S

simon silverdollar

i've only heard bits and bobs from john tejada, and his music seems to cover a bewildering array of styles- microhouse, late night trip hoppy house, introspective electronica/idm, and the electro hit single, 'sweat on the walls'.

can someone guide me through his pretty vast backcatalogue, please?

what's good, what's bad? who is he, where did he come from?

hint

party record with a siren
yeah - he's ace! but, like you, I only have bits and pieces (again, covering various styles - his EP on Defocus, another on Fenetik, some other stuff with Titonton and the LP on Plug Research).

S

simon silverdollar

he does seem to be quite special doesn't he?
if he was from berlin or cologne he'd be huge, i think.

mpc

wasteman
the new i'm not a gun album is quite big.

he's got a newish track that sounds like a lesser version of 'sweat on.....', but i heard it in a d. eulberg mix recently and it sounded amazing.

zhao

there are no accidents
funny to see you blokes chatting about John. I've known him for ages... LA veteran he is. way before I ever heard any of his music. just would run into him a lot at parties... his girlfriend runs this promo company called Green Galactic and they used to do a lot of electronic music shows. I don't know if its my prejudice because to me he's this slightly goofy chubby dude, and I do think they are good, but I've never been enthralled by his tracks...

Diaz

tejada has been a staple on the west coast for a while. His production has always been pretty damn good and seems to evolve naturally into different niches- a lot of his stuff works just as well at lame hollywood bars or with less enthusiastic (hardcore, maybe?) crowds as he does with nasty stoned electroheads. i think he moved from LA to SF a while back, but it's not too rare that he plays at one of the bigger clubs around here.

confucius said:
his girlfriend runs this promo company called Green Galactic and they used to do a lot of electronic music shows

whoa, he's dating Lynn Hasty? that makes sense, i just never...whoa.
anyways she's totally rad and has been trying for years to push LA's own neat things and is kind of a stalwart for local, interesting and trying-really-hard-not-to-be-inaccessible stuff. I remember her helping me get into places @ 17 i wasn't allowed to get into, just because I wanted to hear the music so badly.

geeta

when i was in montreal a few months ago a car zoomed by, top down, blasting 'sweat on the walls'. surreal!

jack

Paranoia is that other single, the 'sweat' follow up. Darker, almost piss-takingly druggy and twisted.

Like all techno producers called John he's v prolific, and kind of inconsistent because of it. A lot of low profile quite standard deep-tech remixes get churned out, although his big singles are all pretty classic. Also his remix of Frankie 'rush' (Frankie records) is awesome. Haven't really been caught by too many of his album tracks, but then i'm fickle. He runs Pallette records that released a great Justin Maxwell ep earlier this year.

Never heard him dj.

ThinKing

Think someone mentioned the EP on Frenetik - it's absolutely top notch, deep broken garage. Some fantastic DnB collabs too - Air Raid on a Commercial Suicide EP and he did an amazing track with Polar on Metaformal, and heavy broken stuff with Volcov is decent too.

Man has skills.

S

simon silverdollar

simon silverdollar said:
who is he, where did he come from?

just realised i should've wrote 'who is he, why is here?' there. missed opportunities!