Jeff Wayne "War Of The Worlds"

Woebot

Get your hankys out BTW

This was playing int the office the other day and it was the first time I'd heard it since it I was nine years old. I've mentioned before how "No Nathanial No" breaks me up something serious, as this was the music i was listening to as I was being sent back to prep school (i was packed off from home at the age of seven). The feelings of emotional devastation, pretty much compounded by the fact that I was also miserable and alienated at home (I know I know its a real blubberer this one) just made the impact of this record overpowering.

Anyway yesterday was the first time i'd heard it since then, and I was struck firstly how bloody good it is. The music, I know its only Jeff Wayne, well its pretty excellent. All that quite controlled bombast, spooky kate-bush-esque martian leitmotifs, clangorous sliding guitars, the bleeps; the whole thing coming across like an anglophile Goblin- thats to say super-slick nasty sleaze rock. Burton (as k-punk I think mentioned somewhere, scarily world-worn)

It dawned on me too that the reason I must have identified it with it was that commonfolk, the victems of the martians, Richard Burton included, are so entiely helpless. They're quite completely at the whim of forces outwith their control. Reduced to the state of orphans, children. There are resonances too between the state of the martian attack and London's predicament at the moment. And again, perhaps more appositely, between the state of Iraq's subject to the invasion of the faceless American war machine.

What added extra depth to my own personal recollection of it was that I was introduced to it, almost forcibly, by my housemaster of the time. A very fucked-up man. Essentially a child-abuser who really relished the powerlessness of children (wont go into it in too much detail, suffice to say that he would, amongst other things, beat me every week for things which I hadnt done, for reasons I never understood) I suppose he was the monster who lurked awaiting my return to school. Ended up commiting an auto-erotic suicide. Vile.

I was so totally knocked out by hearing the record again that I actually had to slip out of the office and hide. It hit me like a juggernaut. Whats the film like incidentally? Anything with Tom Cruise in it is, as a yardstick, utter crap.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
I agree (remember this?) - compulsive steamprog sound, with a real punk-edged nihilism (something very much in the original Welles' text)

As for the Spielberg film: unbelievably powerful. Post-9/11, post-Schindler's List.... Shock and trauma rather than awe and syrup - some Ballardian surreal-disaster imagery, human beings reduced to the level of casually genocided scurrying ants ... Brilliant use of sound too....

francesco

Minerva Estassi
I remember reading somewhere that H G Wells (god bless him who was, like me, a biologist) was inspired by the brutal colonialism of european people in america and africa and reversed the plot, this time being european (well, londoners actually) being invaded and devastated from "aliens" (imagine the shock of native sud american in seeing for the first time a White Devil) from Mars. Also the end refers, in revers, to the tragic effect of common cold on native.

Still have find no time to see the Spielberg movie, hope soon.

Had someone here read the second chapter of Alan Moore "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"? Is the greatest Wells "war of the world" homage ever written, and the art of Kevin O'Neal is at an incredible peak.

p.s. the original "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" by Moore and Neal has quite nothing to do with the incredibly crappy film some idiots in hollywood had made.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
WOEBOT said:
There are resonances too between the state of the martian attack and London's predicament at the moment

More than "War on the World", about this specific situation I had thought of the state of costant "terrorist" bombing in Orwell "1984".

DJL

i'm joking
francesco said:
More than "War on the World", about this specific situation I had thought of the state of costant "terrorist" bombing in Orwell "1984".

I've never heard all of War of The Worlds but the bits I have heard I think are awesome if now sounding a little dated. Someone should do a modern musical version.

George Orwell fucked up with the title of '1984'. It should be '2005'.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I hadn't intended to see the current version due to having a similar dislike of Tom Cruise, but my girlfriend (a huge sci-fi / movies-with-'splosions / Spielberg fan) made me go and I actually quite liked it. Not the best summer blockbuster I've ever seen, but far from being the worst...and the noise the tripods make is pretty cool.

It did totally make me want to track down the Jeff Wayne record though, which I remember fondly from being a kid. My dad used to play it in the car quite a bit, and it was one of the first records that I remember being conscious of being somewhat 'weird'.

blunt

shot by both sides
DJL said:
Someone should do a modern musical version.
Or maybe a live audio-visual mashup - now that would be rockin'!

As for the new movie - yeah, it's not bad, as it goes. Spielberg stays pretty faithful to the original story, which is a relief; altho the ending couldn't really be much worse. The whole world is shot to shit, yet Mom appears to have been spending her time just chilling with the old folk in the middle of a war zone, not a hair out of place. But then, Spielberg never was one for sticking to the internal logic of his own movies.

(But don't worry: the kernal of the story's ending remains unchanged, if you get my drift)

Basically, it's best to imagine the movie as a bastard child resulting from a three-way love-in between "Schindler's List", "Saving Private Ryan" and "Minority Report" :)

BTW: Spot on with the description of listening to "War of the Worlds" as a kid and being conscious of the fact that it was 'weird' - I totally empathise with that. Magical, but totally unique. Downloading it as I write, and as giddy as a schoolboy (or sthg)...

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I only became aware of it by listening to a recording of some pirate broadcast from Centerforce FM from 1989 on Everything Starts with an E. They had stuff like "rock to the beat" by reese & santonio and for some reason the first track off War of the Worlds. I had not idea it was from 1978 back then.

dominic

Beast of Burden
there's an excellent house version of the jeff wayne, "war of the worlds" track -- came out in 89 or thereabouts

Raw Patrick said:
Jeff Wayne's production on the early David Essex records is INCREDIBLE - really far out, bizarre arrangements. You can also d/l his version of Ape Shuffle by Lalo Schifrin at the bottom of <a href="http://www.ubu.com/outsiders/365/04-1.html">this</a> page.

Did he produce 'Rock On'? That's a fantastic record.

Agreed on the war Of The Worlds childhood memories. very freaky record. but so was Stevie Wonder's 'Secret Life Of Plants'!

Orbital sampled the oooollaaaaaaaaahhh bit for, er, 'OOh Lah' didn't they? Or am I getting muddled up?

Gerard

Me too. I spent a lot of time working through the image on the front cover as well. Nasty business. :eek:

Rambler

Awanturnik
DJL said:
Someone should do a modern musical version.

When I was about 10 my friend's dad took a load of us to a see a laser show version of it at the Planetarium. Wicked business.

bassnation

the abyss
WOEBOT said:
What added extra depth to my own personal recollection of it was that I was introduced to it, almost forcibly, by my housemaster of the time. A very fucked-up man. Essentially a child-abuser who really relished the powerlessness of children (wont go into it in too much detail, suffice to say that he would, amongst other things, beat me every week for things which I hadnt done, for reasons I never understood) I suppose he was the monster who lurked awaiting my return to school. Ended up commiting an auto-erotic suicide. Vile..

jesus matt, thats a hell of a story. no wonder it has emotional impact.

on a slightly different note, i've found myself avoiding listening to the normal dark and moody stuff i like to play on the mp3 player on the tube into work, somehow coupled with the slippery uneasiness that has characterised underground journeys of late its too much of an uncomfortable combination. its a while since i've felt music in this way. this morning mimoid "strawberry" got switched off for this precise reason.