kanye "diamonds" / hype williams' video

believekevin

Finally saw the Hype vid for "Diamonds" on BET last night. I am psyched on Kanye's personality conflicts. His self-portrait seems to best reflect the contradictions of advanced capitalism in 2005, viz the tension between globalization's benefits and crimes (diamonds at what cost?) Are Diss posters onto other rappers "with a benz and a backpack" representing this complex outlook?

Mr H

I haven't seen the video yet but have heard from a friend that it is a pretty macabre and hard hitting sting on bling. I was really disappointed by the lacklustre lyrics on the original version and according to this article in Vibe

http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2005/06/kanye_talks_diamonds_remix

it was Q-Tip who alerted him to the sort of suffering in Sierra Leone that is caused by the diamond trade and inspired him to do a remix which includes rhymes that are on a par with the subjects and conflicts he raps about on The College Dropout .

You could say that Q-Tip himself is someone who expresses a similar kind of duality. I haven't listened to it for a while but he looked pretty blingtastic in his fur coat on the cover of 'Amplified' and he was surrounded by a lot of birds in bikinis for the videos of the singles and yet the last track is a really emotional account of the events which lead to the break up of A Tribe Called Quest. The Kamaal the Abstract material I have heard sounds like more of a return to the political consciousness and anti bling of that era.

There has been that kind of dichotomy (consciousness, underground v bling, gangsta) running through hiphop for years but I can't really think of anyone at the moment other than N.E.R.D. who are as self-conscious about it although I'm sure that people with better memories will be able to come up with some.

blunt

shot by both sides
Mr H said:
I haven't seen the video yet but have heard from a friend that it is a pretty macabre and hard hitting sting on bling. I was really disappointed by the lacklustre lyrics on the original version [...]

Well, stand by to be disappointed by the video, as well. It seems that only the nasty white bourgoisie ever buy diamonds. NOT that I'm saying that bling is an exclusively black phenomenon, but the entire video strikes me as absurdly disingenuous.

There is one macabre moment - which is actually pretty good, as it goes - but otherwise the video is a total fackin' disgrace. Talkin' loud and sayin' nuthin'.

You can watch it thru, erm, the <a href="http://www.nme.com/features/113020.htm" target="_blank">NME</a>.

I've gotta say, I think Kanye West is a bit over-rated, and this video seems to support my theory quite nicely.

Hang on a minute while I don my flame-retardant suit...

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
blunt said:
I've gotta say, I think Kanye West is a bit over-rated

Oh dear...if anything, I think he's probably UNDERrated myself. Amazing producer, pretty average MC, but just marvelous production.

blunt

shot by both sides
Melchior said:
Oh dear...if anything, I think he's probably UNDERrated myself. Amazing producer, pretty average MC, but just marvelous production.

Ummmm, yes. I think I agree. His production skills are great. But it's his average MC skills that makes me think him over-rated in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, I was just expressing a personal - and as such, subjective - opinion. Oh dear :)

Mr H

blunt said:
Well, stand by to be disappointed by the video, as well. It seems that only the nasty white bourgoisie ever buy diamonds. NOT that I'm saying that bling is an exclusively black phenomenon, but the entire video strikes me as absurdly disingenuous.

There is one macabre moment - which is actually pretty good, as it goes - but otherwise the video is a total fackin' disgrace. Talkin' loud and sayin' nuthin'.
you're right...the video is shite and not what I expected. i thought there would be blood dripping from the fingers of some iced out kings of bling but its in black and white and looks like it was filmed in prague or something.

blunt said:
You can watch it thru, erm, the <a href="http://www.nme.com/features/113020.htm" target="_blank">NME</a>.
its good to see that NME is writing accurately and knowledgeably about hiphop:

'Atlanta's Kanye West' ??

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Ok, now I've actually watched it. I like the track, forwaht it's worth, but that's not what we're discussing really.

blunt said:

It strikes me as fairly disingenious to think that hip hop style "bling" is anything other than a drop in the ocean of the diamond trade as awhole. A man giving a woman a diamond ring is almost certainly much more representative of the trade in diamonds from the consumer end than say the game's necklace.

Certainly, it's doesn't say much at all. The opening bit and the macabre moment (the blood on the hands) seem fairly unrelated from the rest of the video. And someone had the gall to describe this as the "new protest music"? Save us...

Woebot

Melchior said:

The production on Diamonds is great. Dead squidgy sonics, but the track isnt really going anywhere. Its not a tune on the scale of some of the things on The College Dropout. Still, I'm very much looking forward to the elpee.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
kanye is not a great thinker, contrary to popular belief, if anything he's pretty limited, so i was considerably less than surprised to hear that this was q-tip's idea a while back. after all, listen to most of the college dropout (an album i love anyway) - a lot of the messages are seriously conflicted and there's a lot of bile in the skits against formal education etc. in many ways this plays up to all the worst ghetto stereotypes, rather than exploding them, and can also be seen as far from "positive". it seems that it's really important to the media (and kanye himself) that kanye is put forward as a "conscious", intellectual presence in mainstream hip-hop (of course, "conscious" rappers are the only worthwhile kind, the only kind with any positive effect on society - as if!). he's not really, he's just kanye, talking from a very personal perspective (he has an insanely big ego), but laying it down like a manifesto for the world, which i think is his mistake. after all, this is a man who, in a channel 4 interview, when asked how he compared to his heroes, as a rapper, said "can you compare 9/11 to the holocaust? they're both different things." not exactly the wisest or most "conscious" analogy. that said, the jay-z remix of diamonds is astounding and gold digger, sampling ray charles is one of the best tunes i've heard in a long, long time.

Last edited:

Elan

Blackbird
I don't know about the lyrics (I've only seen the video once, pretty conscious as far as videos on high rotation get these days, I suppose [is it on high?]) - but I am glad that someone is at least paying attention to the blood diamond trade (or as they're known in the biz, 'conflict') and trying to draw some attention to it. Whether this will make anyone ask any hard questions at their local jewellery store when getting bling or an engagement ring is another thing altogether...diamonds are priced high articificially and are more about 'status' and 'wealth' than actual preciousness or rarity, which could be some kind of meta statement, does Kanye reach it? Again, I don't know, but it's worth trying.

Mr H

qwerty south said:
i heard whoever owns shirley bassey's music publishing got all the royalties for 'diamonds'
kind of.

'diamonds is forever' was written by John Barry & Don Black and is published by EMI and Kanye's publisher is...EMI!