grime MCs that were meant to be big this year, but aren't.

S

simon silverdollar

thinking today about the grime MCs that there was loads of hype and expectation around late last year, but haven't really made it-

fumin
bashy
purple
slk, as a collective

but why? may be the power's shifted back towards E3 a lot more- especially now that Rinse is the only reliable grime pirate-, and also perhaps there's a lack of interest in more 'lyrical' MCs at the moment compared with last year. i always got the impression that people like bashy and purple was coming at things from a more hiphop angle than many grime MCs, with corresponding high word-counts and lyrical complexity. but it seems that it's not really what grime fans want.

hmmm. any thoughts?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
J2K, perhaps. Didn't he have a mixtape, or perhaps more than one mixtapes out, which perhaps haven't been as big as expected?

He perhaps is, again, a bit more hip hop influenced. Fantastic MC though.

S

simon silverdollar

Diggedy Derek said:
J2K, perhaps. Didn't he have a mixtape, or perhaps more than one mixtapes out, which perhaps haven't been as big as expected?

He perhaps is, again, a bit more hip hop influenced. Fantastic MC though.

yeah he had the 'heat in the streets' mixtapes out. they're not really grime- more uk hiphop. but they're very good. PM me if you want cdrs- i think the mixtapes are sold out now.

j2k needs to get into roll deep.

S

simon silverdollar

i guess the thing is with grime, though, everything moves so fast that if yr not releasing stuff pretty much constantly, there can be the impression that yr not big anymore.
that's where people like slew dem are amazing- they seem to have a new 12 every week.

and i don't think fumin or bashy have come out well from their respective clashes with roll deep members.

gumdrops

fumin was pretty well recieved at stratford circus earlier this year. i'd say hes still pretty big. how can we gauge these things anyway? record sales? crowd response at non existent raves?