film history/film identification please

mms

sometimes
there is an amazing french silent film i saw years ago and I can't remember for the life of me what it's called.
i'm sure it's fairly famous and some of you fellows will know.
this is my description from memory so beware..
basically it's quite a delicatley surreal and erotic pre hayes code story of a girl who is about to be married's trip around paris one night and her flirtations with all kinds of men, people on the canal, farground men etc, the overall feeling is very watery, lots of refrences to water and i think the last scene is the passage of moving water behind a canal boat as the husband and wife connsumate.

this is from memory and probably slightly wrong but if anyone knows what the film is called and who the director is i'd be grateful

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Probably L'Atlante by Jean Vigo, although it's not silent. The consumation scene is very famous though, and it's set mostly on a barge (until the missus heads off to check out the night life).

Amazing film. Died when he was like 28 or something- his complete works (ie about 3 hours) have just been released on DVD in the UK.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
yes as i said it is from memory.. :D

yeah i think that might be the one, a very sad looking serious male star who i think is something of a massive french film icon.

thanks very much for that, especially as you guessed from such shot to pieces memory of it