ID cards will contain RFIDs, enables monitoring of who does what when

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
This sort of drowned in the media torrent, but The Times mentioned last week
that the Gov want ID-cards with RFIDs.

RFIDs are small electronic chips used to track things, normally goods in a shop.

I haven't had the energy to write about this (I prefer reading to writing), but
I wish I did. Anyway - The Register mentions those RFIDs today.

What they do not mention however is a scenario where
a) ID-cards are compulsary at all times and wherever you go
b) RFIDs are on these cards

RFIDs do not have a massive range, they can reach at least 7 meters (8 yards or so) according
to http://www.rfidinc.com/ .

But 7 meters is plenty - you can then simply place RFID readers at mosques, churches,
shopping malls, train&tube stations, congestion charge points, pubs, known hangouts
for any militants&activists (or the offices of any organisation which the Gov takes a dislike to) etc etc.

Not only will you see who went where when - but also who they were with.
You don't carry an ID-card? Well - you better NOT RUN ...

Combine this with the chronic lack of resistance in the British public to being under surveillance,
another terrorist attack, the rise of "new puritanism" [in all religions and also among the
younger generation (they love Coldplay and James Blunt for heavens sake)], a trigger happy police ---
and Big Brother/Brave New World will arrive before you know it.

Last edited:
O

Omaar

Yeah agreed this is a pretty shocking development, these sort of amendments to security legislation are often pushed through either while everyone's either distracted by some other major issue or so concerned about 'security' that they'll let anything be done to feel a little bit safer.

The implications of the widespread use of this technology are pretty frightening, not just in the context of privacy, but in terms of the effect it will have on the relationship between consumers, marketers and producers. I'm not sure how widespread the use of this technology already is in the UK, but if it's introduced at such a basic level, it's going to beome a part of everyday life in other ways too.

O

Omaar

read this a while ago which I found pretty interesting:

http://cryptome.quintessenz.org/mirror/rfid-scandal.htm

I found this bit more sinister than the RFID bit though actually:

"The Sun Times also reported that a live video camera trained on the shelf allowed Procter & Gamble employees, sometimes hundreds of miles away, to observe the Lipfinity display and consumers interacting with it. "