David Bowie's "The Laughing Gnome"

D

droid

'Love you till tuesday' with those stacatto 'fa, fa, fa, fa, fa's' is a much better candidate..

gumdrops

some of the instrumental parts of low remind of grime as far as some of the ominous synths and overall gloom and doom.

jenks

thread death
i think gnome reminds us that people like bowie were quite unsure as to what a 'popstar' was supposed to be - no-one had done it befor them and they were still working on previous models available to them. in bowie's case some kind of anthony newley variety character.

but even here bowie has realised the future for him is in his own accent and not the midatlanticisms of his contemporaries.

the song is ,of course, dreadful but no worse than any number of comedy songs (maybe another thread ?)

jenks said:
the song is ,of course, dreadful but no worse than any number of comedy songs (maybe another thread ?)

The Goons' 'Ying Tong Song' is tops. Plus it goes helium-hardcore at the end.

Some of the most bizarre music historically comes from comedy. Anyone familiar with Spike Jones?

the laughing... frog!

Are you guys sure that the laughing gnome is a good number? Apart from the drug-infused final laughter of David the song sounds so unlike Bowie's future aspirations and ambitions! Besides, it powerfully reminds me of the crazy frog's tone...

owen

spike jones' 'in der fuhrer's face' is CLASSIC

i must get some of bowie's twee stuff, momus put across a very good case on his blog a couple of days ago

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
owen said:
spike jones' 'in der fuhrer's face' is CLASSIC

i must get some of bowie's twee stuff, momus put across a very good case on his blog a couple of days ago

and how about that video where hes dancing in front of the cinema and then fatboyslim is actualyl there and he hugs him omg lol