one off bits of electronic pop joy

mms

sometimes
in the light of everyone going mad over that paul mcartney's 'temporary secretary' track a few years back
what other moments of pop electronic/club/ecstacy crossover gems are there about ?
i know there are things like i travel by simple minds, the midnight mix of too shy by kajagoo goo, the francois k mix of yazoos situation, queen's body language to name one or two but what other gems are there out there

is this a well farmed seam or are there just a few of these things?

just askin like

zhao

there are no accidents
anyone ever heard this hardcore ragga-jungle version of "Walk like an Egyptian"? with super aggressive MC's? I heard it once somewhere and was stunned by it. who the hell did that?

mms said:
in the light of everyone going mad over that paul mcartney's 'temporary secretary' track a few years back
what other moments of pop electronic/club/ecstacy crossover gems are there about ?
i

When you say 'going mad', do you mean everybody actually liked that piece of half-baked shite?

From the Gutter archives, December 2003:

I see that Sir Paul McCartney is once again attempting to re-write the history books by 'donating' a half-arsed 12 inch track from 1980 to New Religion Records for their new compilation "A Secret History". This otherwise admirable CD compiles a few lesser-known synthpop ditties from the likes of Visage, Telex, Throbbing Gristle and Liaison Dangerous. The inclusion of Macca's "Temporary Secretary" is just another example of his need to ingratiate himself with the kids by muscling in on a genre which he clearly has no influence on whatsoever. We've all read his claims that he was the true visionary in the Beatles, how he was involved with the Radiophonic Workshop and other 'happening' electronic artists of the '60s, how he almost got Delia Derbyshire to create the music for "Yesterday" (seriously, folks!), but when you start claiming electropop-pioneer status you step into Gutterbreakz territory, mutherfucker, and I won't have it!
Described by Record Collector's Jake Kennedy as "what the White Album would've sounded like if it had been recorded in 1980", "Temporary Secretary" is in fact a piss-poor throwaway with a few bleeps thrown in. Compare it with, say, Robert Palmer's electro excursion "Looking For Clues" from around the same time and you'll see just how poorly-executed this arse-wipe of a tune really is.
Maybe I'm just down on Macca right now 'cause I heard a bit of "Let It Be....Naked" in Virgin the other day and thought it sounded shit, even worse than the Spector version, if that's possible. Let's be honest, "Let It Be" was always the worst Beatles album by a mile and this new version does nothing to dispel that fact, no matter how much Macca tries to convince us otherwise.
Don't get me wrong, I think he did a few half-decent tunes in his time (though that time was clearly over by 1980) and I even had to concede to my Macca-loving pal Aaron that "Goodnight Tonight" was actually a lot better than I remembered, but I'm just getting very tired of Sir Paul's pathological urge to ram his continuing 'relevance' down our necks.

Damn you, sir.

mms

sometimes
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
When you say 'going mad', do you mean everybody actually liked that piece of half-baked shite?

From the Gutter archives, December 2003:

I see that Sir Paul McCartney is once again attempting to re-write the history books by 'donating' a half-arsed 12 inch track from 1980 to New Religion Records for their new compilation "A Secret History". This otherwise admirable CD compiles a few lesser-known synthpop ditties from the likes of Visage, Telex, Throbbing Gristle and Liaison Dangerous. The inclusion of Macca's "Temporary Secretary" is just another example of his need to ingratiate himself with the kids by muscling in on a genre which he clearly has no influence on whatsoever. We've all read his claims that he was the true visionary in the Beatles, how he was involved with the Radiophonic Workshop and other 'happening' electronic artists of the '60s, how he almost got Delia Derbyshire to create the music for "Yesterday" (seriously, folks!), but when you start claiming electropop-pioneer status you step into Gutterbreakz territory, mutherfucker, and I won't have it!
Described by Record Collector's Jake Kennedy as "what the White Album would've sounded like if it had been recorded in 1980", "Temporary Secretary" is in fact a piss-poor throwaway with a few bleeps thrown in. Compare it with, say, Robert Palmer's electro excursion "Looking For Clues" from around the same time and you'll see just how poorly-executed this arse-wipe of a tune really is.
Maybe I'm just down on Macca right now 'cause I heard a bit of "Let It Be....Naked" in Virgin the other day and thought it sounded shit, even worse than the Spector version, if that's possible. Let's be honest, "Let It Be" was always the worst Beatles album by a mile and this new version does nothing to dispel that fact, no matter how much Macca tries to convince us otherwise.
Don't get me wrong, I think he did a few half-decent tunes in his time (though that time was clearly over by 1980) and I even had to concede to my Macca-loving pal Aaron that "Goodnight Tonight" was actually a lot better than I remembered, but I'm just getting very tired of Sir Paul's pathological urge to ram his continuing 'relevance' down our necks.

Damn you, sir.

apart from you that is :)

i recall the press getting generally overexcited and spouting rubbish about
him having invented techno and that .
basically it is rubbish but the ones i've mentioned in my first post are quality - anyway everyone knows mick jagger was king of the disco back then really...
miss you etc ...

juliand

Compare it with said:
For what it's worth, Palmer's "Johnny And Mary" is even better--which makes him at least a two-off

a pretty portrait of impotence and boredom, over synthetic drone-pop: "mary counts the walls, knows he tires easily..."

juliand said:
For what it's worth, Palmer's "Johnny And Mary" is even better--which makes him at least a two-off

a pretty portrait of impotence and boredom, over synthetic drone-pop: "mary counts the walls, knows he tires easily..."

Great track, I agree. I could've used either. He made those tunes with an EDP Wasp and Spider sequencer, btw. Big-up Mr. Palmer for buying British!

Last edited:
D

droid

Nick Gutterbreakz said:
We've all read his claims that he was the true visionary in the Beatles, how he was involved with the Radiophonic Workshop and other 'happening' electronic artists of the '60s, how he almost got Delia Derbyshire to create the music for "Yesterday" (seriously, folks!),

Strange that. - Im unaware of Macca's Electro-pop pedigree, but I always thought that George Harrison was more of the 'radiophonic' Beatle.

bits of hat 'electronic sound' LP he did could easily have featured on Doctor Who...

droid said:
bits of hat 'electronic sound' LP he did could easily have featured on Doctor Who...

Most of that album was just a studio improvisation by American moog-expert Bernie Krause, recorded without his knowledge or permission. Harrison 'borrowed' it, the bastard.

D

droid

Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Most of that album was just a studio improvisation by American moog-expert Bernie Krause, recorded without his knowledge or permission. Harrison 'borrowed' it, the bastard.

Ah - thaks for that. Picked it up second hand yeeaaarrrs ago and was always somewhat bemused by it... still - he was certainly on point with his plagerism..

Good cover as well..

mms

sometimes
whats that harrison produced or collab with ravi shankar - eminem sampled it - anyone know the name of the lp?

heard it once and it was pretty breathtaking

droid said:
Good cover as well..

the cover's the best bit of that album.

back to the electronic pop joy thing - who like these?

Jona Lewie - You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties
Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin - It's My Party (not that Dave Stewart)
Kim Wilde - Kids In America
The Mobiles - Drowning In Berlin
Ultravox -Sleepwalk (Neu! retooled as perfect-pop single)

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
New Religion Records .
they reissued the K-Punk classic Dr. No recently( not really a one off bit of electronic pop joy cos lots of his stuff is great.)

Just remembered something I ripped recently, which sort of fits the brief. Taken from H20, the first album I ever bought in 1982. Pure street beats and coldwave synth emissions. Considering that they had a full backing band on the payroll, I think it's great (visionary?) that they choose to do this track with just the machines. Plus, Daryl had the best pair of lungs in the business.

Hall & Oates - Crime Pays

xero

was minusone
some that come to mind:

the who - eminence front
dr. john - jetset
cat stevens - was a dog a doughnut

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Last edited:

owen

i was wondering how long it would be before hall and oates were mentioned...surely 'i can't go for that' owns this thread

hmm trying to think what else applies...'einstein a-go-go'? 'pump up the jam'?