NME C86 in MP3 format (aka .022)

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Should you be prepared to listen to all this again (handy for myself as I don't have a cassette deck).
http://mockingmusic.blogspot.com/2005/07/nme-c86-profile.html (via thingsmagazine.net).

Can't remember any of the songs, will listen to it tomorrow after my download has finished -
but there are 3 "X"s marking good tracks inside my original copy
(for Shop Assistants, Half Man Half Biscuit and We've got a Fuzzbox and we're gonna use it -
if nothing else I can check how much taste changes over twenty years)

O

Omaar

Cheers, had just been searching for this after my curiosity was piqued by the 'who killed indie thread''. Not that I'm about to out myself as an indie fan or anything.

Last edited:

dannyDMX

c86

having listened to it a bit recently the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that the material on c86 really has a bit more in common with the jangly post-punk that it follows (Nightingales, Orange Juice, Josef K) then the sugary twee pop that came next, and continues to use the title "c86" as a genre. Much of it is Ron Johnson material, which is really more angular and angsty then fey.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Ness Rowlah said:
Can't remember any of the songs, will listen to it tomorrow after my download has finished -
but there are 3 "X"s marking good tracks inside my original copy
(for Shop Assistants, Half Man Half Biscuit and We've got a Fuzzbox and we're gonna use it -
if nothing else I can check how much taste changes over twenty years)

Taste has not changed a bit. Those are the three tracks possibly worth keeping.
Shop Assistants - good folkish voice with hint of Velvet Underground
1/2 Man 1/2 Biscuit - yeah
Fuzzbox - nice pop with Siouxsie/Lene Lovich yelping

the rest? I blame The Smiths. I was never a massive fan, actually never a fan, anyway.

Once you have made up your mind on some sort of/piece of music it is hard to change;
that doesn't mean "never listen to new stuff" or try something else.
And even for music which grows on you I think you know on the first couple of listens
if you will ever like it or not.

Last edited: