Sizzla

zhao

there are no accidents
speaking from my very much limited knowledge and experience of dancehall culture, I have never encountered an MC as versatile and original as this man. The pleading urgency and the melodic, often minor-key tonalities in his voice seems second to none.

my favorite 2 cuts are on the "Jah Knows Best" album. the title track, a completely fresh and unexpected interpretation of a Bob Dylan tune, is energetic and catchy, with some fantastic sounding dub reverbs on the production. and the other one, "We Got it Goin' On", is a hiphop cross-over stomper with an egyptian sounding keyboard line or sample, just stunning.

but I have been slightly dissapointed by 1 or 2 of his other albums, which although were good, did not have anything close to the magic of these tracks.

can anyone recommend some must have Sizzla albums? also I'm open to other artists to check out.

hugs, kisses, and an extra clip for your 9

Clubberlang

I recommend you pick up any of the last three Capleton records (who Sizzla basically copped most of his tricks from.) Sizzla releases way way too many records and I can't keep track of half of them, but Da Real Thing, Black Woman & Child, Rise to the Occassion and Kings of the Dancehall (and the VP 2CD collection) are all worthwhile.

zhao

there are no accidents
Clubberlang said:
I recommend you pick up any of the last three Capleton records (who Sizzla basically copped most of his tricks from.)

now I don't know much but this does not sound right... I have heard a few Capleton records and his delivery seems very limited to a hyper-masculine monotone chanting style... not nearly as agile and versatile as Sizzla. am I mistaken? should I seek out more Capleton?

also, can anyone recommend any and all Asian/Egyptian/Middle Eastern sounding dancehall? the Middle East, Egyptian and Bollywood riddims are all on my list of things to get.

gdw

sizzla's best album by far - da real thing. consistently great, loads of dancehall hits including 'just one of those days' and 'solid as a rock'. essential.

the more recent, don corleon produced rise to the occasion and (out in the next couple of weeks) soul deep lps are also excellent but are a bit more progressive musically, elements of jazz, r&b....soul deep is a really uplifting and positive set.

where is sizzla's major label deal???

eastern flava - coolie dance and diwali (obviously) but also baghdad (a version of r kelly's snake), no. 1 punjabi, egyptian, the return (the madhouse one), pharao, kasablanca...all at www.sounquake.com

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for the info.

baghdad, no. 1 punjabi, egyptian, the return (the madhouse one), pharao, kasablanca...

are all these riddims? are there greensleeves compilations devoted to each one?

gdw

yeah they're all riddims. pharao is a german production.

only egyptian and kasablanca are on greensleeves...kasablanca might = best rhythm album cover ever, though there's a lot of strong contenders.

you'll need to go somewhere like soundquake to find them as most uk reggae shops (if that's where you are) tend to stock mostly very recent stuff and have a quick turnover. the shipping isn't cheap but becomes more worthwhile if you buy a lot of stuff.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah I've just spent the last 30 minutes researching all of these riddims on Soundquake (the creative director at my company can kiss my ass :) )

Baghdad, the Return, Pharoa, No 1 Punjabi, are all ones I had never heard before and are all KILLER.

thanks again. now the tough part... to try to find them on CD (I use CDJ's) (all you vynl purists out there can also kiss my ass :) )

gdw

you're one step ahead mate

just found out today that none of the 1xtra dancehall djs use vinyl any more, for their shows or in clubs :-(

what will happen to the reggae industry if everyone starts doing this?

Clubberlang

Nothing much. They'll just switch to CD singles (Dave Kelly has already attempted that with a couple of his riddims, eschewing the trad 7" route.)

Clubberlang

Actually I shouldn't say not much, I mean it might be potentially devasting to the industry in Jamaica which revolves around vinyl (pressing plants or whatever), but I don't think it's more expensive to press a CD than it is to make a 7" (esp. since material costs on vinyl keep rising.) And I think there are at least a couple of CD pressing plants in Jamaica now.

gdw

"They'll just switch to CD singles "

and then everyone will download / copy the music for free

also, it's only the big boys who promo their stuff on cd single and sell 7s. smaller labels, remixers and so on will get cut out of the picture...i've already experienced this at first hand.

but yeah hopefully it won't have a negative impact.

Clubberlang

I don't think stuff being on vinyl is actually preventing people from downloading the "music for free".

I am not certain exactly how the vinyl business in JA works, but I would presume that if the demand for CD singles was high enough that independent producers would just start bringing their stuff to a CD pressing plant, rather than a vinyl pressing plant. It would just change the final destination and the format of the final product, but I presume that the market and prices would adjust to this. I can't imagine smaller producers being put out of business by this switch, but maybe there is some aspect of this that I am missing.

Tim F

I think <i>Rise To The Occasion</i> is def. the best of his more recent albums.

Sizzla's done a lot of great voicings on Eastern riddims, apart from Egyptian/Bollywood etc, my favourites being:

"I Always Think About You" on Hindu Storm
"Love & Affection" on Wanted
"Obstacles" on Pharao
"All Is Well" on Cold Fusion
"Spring Break" on Bionic Ras

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
the black woman and child version is pretty amazing.

"africa for the africans" is also pretty funky.. not sure of the riddim on this . .

i think sizzla's "views" are too strong for a major label deal.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
I have to agree---too many albums are released. I feel like there is always 3-4 great songs on each record and then a bunch of junk, or at least a lot of tunes with no distinguishing features. that said *Da Real Thing* is a perfect album and *rise to the occasion* is also pretty good---consistently interesting if not always actually likeable. I also have a fondness for *Blaze Up the Chalwa*.

But the best approach to Sizzla seems to be the mixtape, where someone has gone through and edited out the crap.

His stuff on recent one drop rhythms is always super nice though, but not much of it has made it to (non-rhythm) album yet. *Be Strong*, etc.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
"Look in the bible where christ tells you to live clean", he began. "but none of you could be here tonight if daddy wasn't with mommy", he finished, as explanation for the sexual slackness in his recent lyrics. he then went into a firey tune;" mi nuh go tek back mi chat... mi kill sodomite and batty man" and then more explanation for his hatred of homosexuals, "dem bring aids and disease pon people" and then more djing lyrics "shot a kill dem, mi nuh go tek back mi chat".

he's pretty resolute about it too..