The Stud Brothers

jenks

thread death
Prompted by comments on another thread with regard to the pixies and husker du i got to remincsing about the golden days of the melody maker - in particular 88 or thereabouts.

reynolds, wilde, roberts, stubbs, the studs...(parkes and price later on)

in particular i rememberthe studs with great affection

i remember being in thrall to their writing at the time - there was a fantastic interview with public enemy as well as incredibly cogent dismissals of live aid, marvellous acerbic singles reviews and a generally high level of analytical rigour

most of the staff writers are still around in one form or another - writing huge works on post punk, contributing to various mags/periodicals etc. however the exceptions seem to be the studs - where are they now?

blissblogger

they went their separate ways at some point in the mid-90s

Dominic is now living in Somerset, where he grew up -- so i'm told anyway -- not sure if he's still writing

Ben did a lot of writing for Loaded and similiar places, not under his real name Ben Mothersole but as Ben Marshall -- not sure where he writes for now but he lives in Brighton, i believe

yeah they were great in their heyday... at a certain point, though, they decided they didn't want to be rockcritics but more like reporters. i remember coming into MM and observing them going through a piece, reading it aloud, working on it to make sure there was no sentence in it that made the reader pause, no impediment to absolutely instant understanding, striving for this utter streamlined clarity so that the reader could just whizz through the piece and get to the end ASAP. i realized then and there that we had radically different visions of what music writing was about!