Classic Mix Compilations

ewmy

Genre Addict
I'm sure this is preaching to the converted, but I'm firmly of the belief that mixed compilations are the best invention of the 1990s, if not the 20th century as a whole. I reckon they are coming up to their 15th birthday sometime soon, which must mean that there's been time for a canon to have formed around some seminal classics (to use two much-abused dance music journalism words). This morning I was lent one of the supposed all-time greats: Jeff Mills' "Live At The Liquid Room", and it got me thinking.

Here's my other nominations:

Sasha & Digweed: Northern Exposure
Richie Hawtin: Decks, EFX & 909
Coldcut: Journeys By DJ
2 Many DJs: As Heard On Radio Soulwax

Any more for any more? These just happen to be all commercially-released, but there are acknowledged must-have mp3 mixes and broadcast radio/live sets as well I'm sure.

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
1. in our house we like michael mayer's fabric mix (but then, that's a given round these parts)
2. dj wrongspeed's pirate flava deserves its own thread!
3. live at the liquid rooms is fab; so fab that jeff mills seems to be playing the same set to this day.
4. ancient mixmag casette grooverider one side,justin robertson t'other
5. ALL andy weatherall mixes (if anyone has any going on CD/cassette i'd love 'em,mine were nicked.)
6. j da flex deuce CD

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
DJ Vinroc - Reconstruction
Q Bert - Demolition Pumpkin Squeeze Music

stelfox

Beast of Burden
give it a week melchior and you can slsk both discs off me - i'm moving house so have no interweb at the mo.
it's out of print now, if yr talking abt the strut one, so absolutely nowt wrong w/ sharing it around.

DJL

i'm joking
Ja Da Flex Duece CDs
Miss kittin Electroclash Cd off Muzik mag

are two mentioned already that I'd agree are classics. I've always been more into tape and CD packs from live events of which I have a few personal classics like:

Dreamscape 12 tape pack from around 1993
Roast tape pack from about 1994
Pure X tape pack from around 1996
London Underground tape pack from around 1998
Special mention to the Femme Fatale and Masterstepz B2B Cd from the Best of Sidewinder 1999-2003 pack

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I have a soft spot for Laurent Garnier's X-Mix and Richie Hawtin's X-Mix and Mixmag outings, cause I played them to death c. 94 / 95...but none are really all that classic as far as the mixes themselves are concerned (although they do have more then their share of classic tracks). I always thought that the Kevin Saunderson X-Mix was a standout from that series...manages to capture the feel of Saunderson behind the decks in a club in much the same way as Mills' Liquid Room set.

Most of the mixes that have (personal) classic status in my dusty collection of tapes were never commercially available: Spiral Tribe Live in Leiden sometime in 94. Assorted sounddesk recordings of Laurent Garnier, Andy Weatherall and Dave Clarke at various Dublin and Cork venues in 94 / 95 that everyone in Ireland seemed to own nth generation copies of. Grooverider on Kiss FM in 94 or 95 (got me listening to jungle / drum+bass after a prolonged techno-only diet). Several Carl Craig sets from a monthly guest residency at Fuse in Brussels that I attended religiously and then taped off Radio 21 the following week. I've always felt that studio recorded mixes - even technically amazing ones - are generally lacking when compared with a tape of a live event. It's even better when the live event was one that you were able to attend in person.

sapstra said:
l
miss kitten - electroclash mix for muzik magazine

True true. But I reckon I like her Radio Caroline CD even more!

Speaking of Electroclash, the first Futurism CD from City Rockers and Felix Da Housecat's Excursions (Obsessive Recordings) both got me quite excited for a while.

A couple of other Muzik mixes I really liked at the time...

Mute's Assume Nothing.
DFA's Discopunk

But then I heard things like Plasticman's Big Apple Mix on the download and I haven't really recovered since....

S

simon silverdollar

-schaffelfieber 2.

-favela on blast.

-old freddy fresh peel session (this is the best mix EVER)

-Total 3 (kompakt)

-a cd of wiley's instrumentals i picked up off e-bay- this was a journo only promo thing, but i was lucky enough to get one second hand.

-woebot's 2004 grime mix.

i'm also a big fan of triple r's new mix on his new label, My Best Friend.

S

simon silverdollar

oh and there's a great laurent garnier curated thing, on his label f-comm called 'classic and rare' or something. big tunes.

S

simon silverdollar

oh, and various dj/rupture mixes. my favourite is prob goldteeth thief, but it's a hard choice really

&c&c&c

DJ DB's A History of Our World Part 1: Breakbeat & Jungle Ultramix (the best CD of the nineties?)
Zed Bias - Sound Of The Pirates

tough call between Mayer's Immer, Fabric13 & the Peel session ("Unter Null"!) . . .

dominic

Beast of Burden
ewmy said:
I'm sure this is preaching to the converted, but I'm firmly of the belief that mixed compilations are the best invention of the 1990s

guess again! -- at least in my case you're preachng to the fervent opposition

i think commercially sold mixed comps are the absolute worst development of the 1990s

mix tapes and cds sold on the street or by way of under-the-radar channels are cool

but mix cds w/ big-name djs sold at places like tower records or large independent shops??? -- this is the kind of thing that killed the dance scene

dominic

Beast of Burden
besides -- what's the point, really

a mix is only interesting when heard the first time around

o/w, it's the equivalent of a 60-minute prog rock excursion

and seamless mixing is ho-hum boring at this point in the game

plus, it's all been sequenced and perfected w/ aid of computers anyway

ON THE OTHER HAND, i love unmixed compilations, so long as the full-length versions of the songs are compiled, as opposed to three-minute edits (the bane of so many 2-step and garage rap comps)

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
mix master mike > serial wax killer
dj/rupture > gold teeth thief
craze & klever > skratch nerdz
nextmen > listen & lose
dj shortkut > inna dancehall stylee
dj maru > maru's sketch
soundmurderer > wired for sound
all the solid steel mix cds

labrat

hot on the heels of love
dominic said:
i think commercially sold mixed comps are the absolute worst development of the 1990s

mix tapes and cds sold on the street or by way of under-the-radar channels are cool

the Boomkat mixtapes, although not under this boards radar,are great(no one surley likes every one-but they are fun as a series).

bassnation

the abyss
dominic said:
besides -- what's the point, really

a mix is only interesting when heard the first time around

o/w, it's the equivalent of a 60-minute prog rock excursion

and seamless mixing is ho-hum boring at this point in the game

plus, it's all been sequenced and perfected w/ aid of computers anyway

ON THE OTHER HAND, i love unmixed compilations, so long as the full-length versions of the songs are compiled, as opposed to three-minute edits (the bane of so many 2-step and garage rap comps)

i agree about unmixed compilations, especially if they are on good quality vinyl.

but i'd dispute that a mix is only interesting the first time. i have mix cds that compile things like the tribal back catalogue - despite having the vinyl originals those mixes are designed for repeated listening - also it sums up a particular era and becomes a document in their own right.