Statik Connected 3xLP

I was listening to those clips myself just last night, after a recommendation from Blazey. I like the instrumentals on disc 3 best, shame you can't buy them on a separate EP.

boomnoise

♫
haven't heard it yet but it's certainly something i intend to pick up. the cover is similar to in at the deep end. i think i actually prefer this though:

product_image.php

Woebot

i've had it for a week or so. its FANTASTIC. some brilliant stuff on there. state of the art Grime

great comic-art style cover (as per boomnoise's link)

and theres a great tube-map guide to Grime's Artists "The Great Bear Style" on the rear.

greatbear.jpg

Last edited:

Clubberlang

How did this drop so far under the radar?

Best grime album of the year, maybe the best non-RTR/non-Dizzee grime record ever. Shame the CD doesn't have "Superdoop" on it, but seriously everyone should buy this anyway. I'm so sad this got so few mentions here and on ILM.

Clubberlang

There is a solo-D Double track on the LP, the Demon & Ghetto duet and the Marcus Nasty spoken piece (plus 4 or 5 instrumentals.) The CD omits the solo D Double track, but adds a Demon solo track, a Gemma Fox and Ears duet, a Dillusion solo track and a bonus JME solo track. Both versions have 5 or 6 posse cuts and an equal number of interludes. Not sure what is wrong with posse cuts though.

gumdrops

the thing about posse cuts in grime is that theres about a million of them. theres more posse cuts then group tracks or solo artist songs. plus, posse cuts are really easy to put together. its lazy (and its not that special anymore either, seeing such and such artist with so and so, its been done to death).

Clubberlang

gumdrops said:
the thing about posse cuts in grime is that theres about a million of them. theres more posse cuts then group tracks or solo artist songs. plus, posse cuts are really easy to put together. its lazy (and its not that special anymore either, seeing such and such artist with so and so, its been done to death).

There are a million of them cuz they are great!

gumdrops

Logan Sama said:
You know statik was the first person in grime to do an all star posse track?

yeah. i also read he was sick of posse cuts. which makes me wonder what on earth he was doing making an album full of them!

Clubberlang said:
There are a million of them cuz they are great!

SOME of them are. but sidewinder, good as the beat is, sounds like everyone was on autopilot. you can put posse cuts together without thinking. no ones verses have to be related, they can be about different things, totally random, its simple really. no wonder so many MCs do it. a (brilliant) track like mic centre is much more interesting, dee and footsie go back and forth within verses, they trade lines with each other, theyre both talking about the same thing, its much better. dizzee knows posse cuts are easy as anything, thats why hes said he wont be featuring his artists all together on countless tracks like everyone else does. hes never done a posse cut on his own albums.

Last edited:

Clubberlang

Also "Sidewinder" isn't even on the Statik record (and Statik isn't on it anyway) so I have no idea what you are talking about. Have you even heard Connected's multitude of posse cuts or are you just convinced they are all lame unrelated medleys cuz ya know that's what "all posse cuts" are like?

gumdrops

Clubberlang said:
Also "Sidewinder" isn't even on the Statik record (and Statik isn't on it anyway) so I have no idea what you are talking about. Have you even heard Connected's multitude of posse cuts or are you just convinced they are all lame unrelated medleys cuz ya know that's what "all posse cuts" are like?

i mentioned sidewinder as an example of a recent posse cut.

i have heard connected. i know the track with lethal b about girls. i know the song with marcus nasty where he does his little spoken word piece. i know the track that changes the beat every eight (?) bars or so. i HAVE heard it, thanks. its a good album. i just said it would be nice to hear something other than posse cuts. maybe this is just from listening to too much hip hop, where posse cuts lost their novelty years ago - i generally dont care too much for tracks with a billion MCs on them anymore.

Clubberlang

See the only thing that makes most hip-hop albums tolerable to me are posse cuts. There is almost no one I want to hear right now rapping alone for 80 minutes. Obv this doesn't apply to the Statik record since he is the constant there, not any one voice. Still the only bummer about this record for me was the fact that "Superdoop" didn't make the CD. "Polygraph", "The Set", "The Charge (Remix)", "Groupie", etc all sound great to me.

Tim F

I really want to hear this, "The Charge (Remix)" was probably my favourite grime track from last year.