Evan Eisenberg "The Recording Angel"

Woebot

Reading this via Blissblogger.

Good content but i find Eisenberg's manner infuriating. He comes across as this super gentile (not genTILE!!! lol!) American academic. Just so mannered and pernickity. I'm finding him a bit of a nuisance, though like I say he's full of great thoughs and fascinating information.

This for instance is horribly accurate:

"The buying is what counts, which is one reason why the record buyer is insatiable. The desire to buy does not always coincide with the desire to hear music. If I want to hear music, surely there is something on my shelf or on the radio that can satisfy me; if i want to hear a certain record I don't have, perhaps i can borrow it from a friend or a library. the desire to buy on the other hand, explodes when my wallet reaches a critical mass, or when i'm anxious, or when i've worked hard atsomething idiotic and want a reward."

(shudders)

mms

sometimes
is this still avaliable to buy? - been looking for it for a while - my music teacher at unversity used to really love it ..
never got to read it but it always stuck in my mind, then i lost the authors name.

jenks

thread death
i think there is something in that but how does that fit in with downloading - i've only recently got out of the habit of downloading every last thing thrown up here - it was like 'free music, i must hoover it all up'

i find the same tendency with regard to books - yes i can borrow stuff from a library but generally i want to have the book itself - i am sure this all about fetishising the object and all that jazz...i suppose i justify it under the guise of re-reading which i do but maybe not as much as i like to think i do :confused:

i hope this isn't taken as ultimate pedantry but it's genteel (not gentile - sorry ;) )

jenks

thread death
jenks said:
i hope this isn't taken as ultimate pedantry but it's genteel (not gentile - sorry ;) )

sorry woebot feel bad about the above - put it down to being a teacher on holiday who hasn't had to mark anything for the past week!