bank holiday

monkeysblood

born to cry
can any of you peeps in touch with the streets give me a heads up for an august bank holiday knees up?

i will be heading to carnival 'cos i think it's fucking smashing, but i haven't heard about much else going on.

all styles welcome.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Not quite sure, but I also really want to go to the carnival. I reckon Jammer's Murkle Man will be rererewound until the record catches fire.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I don't have a record player, but would love to get to hear 'Murkle Man'. Anyone willing to share an mp3?

Re the bank holiday, Notting Hill should be massive; someone on here was organsiing a street party in Hackney as well, if I remember correctly.

run_time

TDK Bank Holiday Gig

Went to the TDK thing last year, proved a bit more of a struggle, everyone struggling to get in to certain spaces to catch particular acts (and resulting in some rather frustrated punters)...would be great if they could use the outdoor courtyard space later in the evening but it looks like licensing restrictions force everything inside. That saod, the day did have some highlights with Blackstrobe playing live being particularly fun

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Just bumping this top the top cause I'm after carnival info. Any idea where grime-friendly sound systems might be? I haven't seen anything on the RWD and Rinse sites.

monkeysblood

born to cry
Diggedy Derek said:
Just bumping this top the top cause I'm after carnival info. Any idea where grime-friendly sound systems might be? I haven't seen anything on the RWD and Rinse sites.

i think my first experience of 'grime' was at carnival a couple years ago. it seemed to be yer straight forward carnival soundsystem rocking away, as the mic was handed to what looked to be some passing youths asking for a shot. after a couple of kids spat a few bars more started turning up and a bit of jostling for the mic ensued. a couple more crews appeared and an impromtu battle lasted about half an hour before everyone slipped back into the crowds. i was fit to strap down. last year i got drawn into the sound at a system set up on the outskirts which didn't appear on any guides i saw (i don't know how many of these you get) and no sponsorship in sight. there was a squat rave feel with a lot of shaven headed brew-crew types (and their kids) apparently running the show. the tunes where garage and jungle sets but it was the blistering mc-ing which stopped me from leaving.. for ages. good live shit happening in that moment on huge systems in the street and everyone's invited. what more do you want?

carnival has still got real energy and i cannot get over how so many londoners i know have mostly negative shit to say about it. later haters, everyone else.. see you there.

martin

----
monkeysblood said:
carnival has still got real energy and i cannot get over how so many londoners i know have mostly negative shit to say about it. later haters, everyone else.. see you there.

I feel that these people are insignificant, spineless eels, though I'm a bit conservative and probably won't venture beyond Saxon, Jah Observer, Tubby's, Nasty Love and Rampage.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Cheers guys. Totally agree that Londoners can really hate on carnival for reasons I can't understand. And I work in Notting Hill and have to put up with a steady stream piss running down the alleyway throughout the bank holiday weekend.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
I know that I won't be very popular for saying it but I'm afraid I hate the carnival... just don't see the appeal of being massively crowded in narrow streets... It's always felt a bit dissolute and uninvolving to me, as if I am never quite where it is happening...

On the Grace Jones thing... obv I'd do almost anything to see the Divine Grace but I don't know if that extends to going to a medicore festival... that ATP thing earlier in the year was enough of a nightmare... does anyone know if she's doing any more shows?

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
Cheers guys. Totally agree that Londoners can really hate on carnival for reasons I can't understand. And I work in Notting Hill and have to put up with a steady stream piss running down the alleyway throughout the bank holiday weekend.

i have enjoyed it alot in the past but i don't like being pushed around at all - so i tend to be quite wary nowdays, i get sick of the lack of knowing where I am/Where to go etc.
same goes for any gig
i saw bonny prince billy the other day at the forum it was crap cos he'd gone all rifforama rock but also stupid wankers talked throughout it - and just when you were locking into it some smelly fat man with a pint in his hand would push past like it was a welcome thing to do .

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
mms said:
i have enjoyed it alot in the past but i don't like being pushed around at all - so i tend to be quite wary nowdays, i get sick of the lack of knowing where I am/Where to go etc.

My feelings exactly

i saw bonny prince billy the other day at the forum it was crap cos he'd gone all rifforama rock but also stupid wankers talked throughout it - and just when you were locking into it some smelly fat man with a pint in his hand would push past like it was a welcome thing to do .

yes, yes. Sadly that is the London gig experience in a nutshell. Can't understand why you'd pay 20 quid to stand and talk to your mates. When we went to see Skinny Puppy a few weeks ago, there was a fellow near me who didn't look at the stage once... kept looking over his shoulder as if the band were some irritating distraction behind him....

mms

sometimes
k-punk said:
My feelings exactly

yes, yes. Sadly that is the London gig experience in a nutshell. Can't understand why you'd pay 20 quid to stand and talk to your mates. When we went to see Skinny Puppy a few weeks ago, there was a fellow near me who didn't look at the stage once... kept looking over his shoulder as if the band were some irritating distraction behind him....

yeah it 's a shame
i'm occasionally guilty of asking questions or making amusing comments in the breaks between songs but not yapping fashionably thru em.
i think some people go to gigs to get seen at them, so you get blocks of people going to stuff to get seen by other people who want to get seen so they spend all evening talking nonsense.
I've had people before do this weird thing when some one namedrops some fashionable band and say the name of the band slightly slower than the rest of the sentence as if they imagine by saying that, you might absorb the fact that they are infinitley more 'down with the scene' than you.

thats the problem with indie - you can be down with blockparty and still wear a sun ra pin badge without ever really listening to their music .
It's quite like the behaviour of the women in sex and the city come to think of it .

Last edited:

Gido

night tripper
how is that tdk festival? i see that oa lady sovereign is coming today, and mu and kano and more interesting stuff. i'm almost out of money though, it's 30 pounds to get in, can you bring you own food and drinks inside?
i also wanna go and see the carnival, whats the best day, someone told me monday is the best and sunday is more like, for families with kids and grannies and all that. is there a spot where the better soundsystems go or anything like that?
i'm not very informed cos i'm from amsterdam, just on a long weekend here.
also, i was wondering about sidewinder/swindon. is there any (cheap) way to get back from that to stratford (where i'm staying) late at night?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
mms said:

Agreed totally - I was at that gig too, and (especially for Alisdair Roberts, the support act) the level of talking/background noise was fucking ridiculous. If these people want to be in a pub, why don't they fuck off and be in one? There was also an unbelievably loud American behind me who thought the whole point of the start of a song was to holler/whoop throughout it at maximum volume. C*nt.

Don't feel the same about Carnival tho' - last year when I went, most people were in a better mood/being nicer than they would on an average Sunday/Monday in London.

mms

sometimes
baboon2004 said:
Don't feel the same about Carnival tho' - last year when I went, most people were in a better mood/being nicer than they would on an average Sunday/Monday in London.

well thats a lovely way to put it and compltley true , i just don't like the struggle with crowds the waitng and the never really getting anywhere thing anymore. maybe i just can't be bothered with it at the mo, certainly can't afford it as my lady's bag was pinched last night so got to double up my meagre bank balance till that's all sorted.