External Soundcards - laptop djing

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
I've done a bit of laptop djing, and i'm thinking of getting a bit more professional, and actually mixing rather than just cross fading, can anyone recommend a cheap and good enough external soundcard i can use to get multi channel outputs ( ie pre-listen) and make everything sound a bit better..

I'm using traktor, and thinking about ableton as well..

xero

was minusone
I use the M-Audio firewire audiophile for exactly this purpose and it sounds great, works perfectly & has a headphone output so you don't need to fiddle about with adaptors. Mind you I use the MIDI ports and also use the audio inputs to digitise vinyl so if you don't need these features it might be a bit pricey

3underscore

jk_gabba said:
I've done a bit of laptop djing, and i'm thinking of getting a bit more professional, and actually mixing rather than just cross fading, can anyone recommend a cheap and good enough external soundcard i can use to get multi channel outputs ( ie pre-listen) and make everything sound a bit better..

I'm using traktor, and thinking about ableton as well..

With traktor you can just whing it - keep an eye on the tempos, loop to high heaven and all that, while whacking "sync" like a madman.

I have an M-audio Quattro which doesn't meet what you are looking for - you need to add an omni to it to do that (which all in would be £400 new, about £200 with a decent bit of ebaying). The main thing you will notice on getting even a soundcard is how shit your onboard sound is!