grime/crunk/jungle/ragga/ghettotech etc in NYC

petergunn

plywood violin
hope it's kosher to post events here... any NYC people into grime, etc, hope to see you...

"Pure Fire"
Friday August 5th
9pm-4am
@ Rocky's
351 Kent Ave. (South 5th)
Williamsburg
718-599-1936

4 dollars

L to Bedford
J to Marcy

A night of Grime, Ghettotech, Ragga, Miami Bass, Baile Funk, Jungle, Crunk, Reggaeton and more...

with DJ's

Papa Wheelie (miami bass history)
Peter Gunn (axischemicals.com)
Reaganomics
Criterion (broklyn beats records)
Catchubs (catchdubs.com)
Shakey

(no baltimore breaks, because that shit is kinda lame...)

All music that is designed to heard LOUD, in a hot, sweaty club. Music from all over the world that is rarely heard together, yet sounds so GOOD. Music that you could go months without hearing one bit of in most NYC clubs all in one place all night.

(for those that have NO idea what i'm talking about, all of the above are loud, rowdy, noisey, regional dance musics, from all over the world, from Detroit to Atlanta to London to Kingston...)

no corny watered down top 40 hip hop.

at Rocky's (formerly the Ship's Mast, formerly Local, formerly the Rock Star Bar) under the Williamsburg Bridge.

petergunn

plywood violin
nah, not at rocky's... but, if it goes well, i'd love to do more... depends how much NYC people are feelin' grime/jungle/ghettotech/baile funk, and other non-nyc music...

dominic

Beast of Burden
i have other commitments this friday, but i noticed the posting on blissblog for same event this past weekend

there's definitely an audience for that mix of music, especially in these parts (dissensus), and rocky's is a good venue for it in my opinion

and you've got a good roster of djs

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
cheers... well, feel free to forward it to anyone you think might care... and that goes double for everyone else!

Eric

Mr Moraigero
petergunn said:
A night of Grime, Ghettotech, Ragga, Miami Bass, Baile Funk, Jungle, Crunk, Reggaeton and more...

All music that is designed to heard LOUD, in a hot, sweaty club. Music from all over the world that is rarely heard together, yet sounds so GOOD. Music that you could go months without hearing one bit of in most NYC clubs all in one place all night.

Clarification question from a non-resident. Hearing talk about how the NYC scene is right now isn't it sort of an exaggeration to say that you can't hear any of these musics in NYC clubs? esp. ragga & reggaeton ...

Anyway hope things go weekly so I can stop by next time I'm in town.

Dubquixote

Submariner
Ahh, the Ship's Mast... Memories...

This sounds like a fun night. Will definitely try to reach. Tell Crito he better rock some of that Dip-set shizzle!

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
petergunn said:
(no baltimore breaks, because that shit is kinda lame...)
i agree...the new stuff is shit. the old stuff that i used to play...that's classic material.

regardless...this event is looking ripe. for real.

petergunn

plywood violin
Eric said:
Clarification question from a non-resident. Hearing talk about how the NYC scene is right now isn't it sort of an exaggeration to say that you can't hear any of these musics in NYC clubs? esp. ragga & reggaeton ...

Anyway hope things go weekly so I can stop by next time I'm in town.

of course ragga and reggaeton all all over nyc... but grime you hear more or less NOWHERE..

miami bass, pretty much nowhere...

i hear when they played Baile at the MIA show, it cleared the floor...

ghetto tech, played at Booty Bar, that's about it..

jungle, there's about 2-3 parties in the whole city...

all of these musics are abrasive enough that you have to get specific crowd to come hear them, b/c your average hip hop fan/nyc clobgoer will leave if they are being played...

petergunn

plywood violin
joenice said:
i agree...the new stuff is shit. the old stuff that i used to play...that's classic material.

regardless...this event is looking ripe. for real.

thanks... yeah, that B-more breaks dis was kinda a joke on the fact that suddenly Rod Lee is getting $$$ to play at trendy manhattan clubs... it's a flavor of the month, and in a month or two, suddenly it won't be "cool" anymore...

oh and re: Crito and Dipset, that guy plays them every time he DJ's, so i can't imagine this will be different/.. tho, i think he's more psyched to get to play Bong Ra REALLY FUCKING LOUD...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
petergunn said:
of course ragga and reggaeton all all over nyc... but grime you hear more or less NOWHERE..

Same over here. People are trying to get something started up but it is not an easy process. No one even stocks the fucking records.

i hear when they played Baile at the MIA show, it cleared the floor...

ghetto tech, played at Booty Bar, that's about it..

That is a difference from here. baile funk is taking off massively. and ghetto tech has a pretty big scene too.

and: right on w/ the bmore comments. haa!!

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
petergunn said:
thanks... yeah, that B-more breaks dis was kinda a joke on the fact that suddenly Rod Lee is getting $$$ to play at trendy manhattan clubs... it's a flavor of the month, and in a month or two, suddenly it won't be "cool" anymore....
Rod Lee....in NYC. Wow....didnt know that was happening. Not really into his beats, but he's a quality dj.
you know what's funny.....the people that are going to his shows will act fake and say they've been fans of the music all the time.

Eric said:
and: right on w/ the bmore comments. haa!!
Easy now Eric.......

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Brrrrrap! This event sounds big, if I wasnt in Berlin I would definitely be there. Big up yourself for keeping the grime thing moving in NYC. Definitely hold tight Crito and Catchdizzle as well, yr large.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Oh and PS, from the baltimore shit I've heard, I'm mostly feeling it, sounds like more organic electro ghetto bass to me, which is all good. Don't hate because the wraparound sunglass asymmetrical haircut massive are into it, that's what they WANT you to do so they can chew it up and call it uncool in two weeks and then go eat someone else's scene. Fuck cultural consumerism, listen to the SOUND.

boosted

I guess it's like everything else with the Baltimore Club comments ... if you happen to be from Baltimore I guess you can talk shit about how it was so much better back-in-the-day, but I still think there is fresh stuff coming out. Obviously, down here in Miami it's a far removed sound from what you're exposed to every week-end up in Baltimore ... but I'll make the same comment for Miami Bass. That may sound fresh up in NYC, but down here in Miami that's old school shit that no one listens to anymore ;)

As for the Reggaeton, Jungle and Ragga ... yeah, that shit's everywhere. And grime is pretty much no-where right now, besides little one-off events and weeklies that pull 100 heads or so.

Good luck with the night ... post up some pictures when it's all done ... love to see what that crowd looks like!

petergunn

plywood violin
boosted said:
... but I'll make the same comment for Miami Bass. That may sound fresh up in NYC, but down here in Miami that's old school shit that no one listens to anymore ;)

no, no one listens to it here either... i just had to have Papa Wheelie do the opening set b/c

a) that dude knows so much about Miami Bass, it's insane...Miami Bass History and he never gets to spin it out...
b) that shit is the the root music for crunk and baile funk, and the sonic palate, if you will, is similar to grime...

Good luck with the night ... post up some pictures when it's all done ... love to see what that crowd looks like!

i'm curious myself...

petergunn

plywood violin
dannyDMX said:
oh he gets to spin it out all the time. unfortunately most people don't want to hear it.

yup... i think all of us spinning try to mix this shit into our "normal" sets... i.e. play some grime mixed with hip hop or throw a jungle tune into a dancehall set... and you notice it deads the floor most times, as your average NYC party person doesn't want to hear that... (interestingly tho, i have seen Frat Boys and Sorority Girls dance to "Galang"...). so, we figure this way, people coming know exactly why they're coming... hopefully it works...