laptop reccomendations?

Kuma

The Konspirator
Smallbear going mobile for the first time..

Will most likely be used for office work and a serious chunk of music production/playing live..

any suggestions? Am open to all platforms so it's a matter of who's used what and what served well..

9/10 live laptop performers prefer Apple.

Apple also make the best consumer laptops in the world. From battery life to dimensions to fan noise to weight to maintenance to operating system, it's all a little superior to the alternatives.

The iBook comes with pretty good specs these days, and is upto live performance pressures. The best laptop set i caught last year was Kaffe Matthews on an iBook. Powerbooks are dearer, but worth it if you got your bling on.

That said, you can toss a cheap Dell running Ubuntu around to your heart's content. And i've seen numerous performers run on linux. I wouldn't discount this option if you're quite computer literate and comfortable in the shell. Sony produce ok PC laptops. Avoid Samsung & Compaq, imo.

Rambler

Awanturnik
joanofarctan said:
you can toss a cheap Dell running Ubuntu around to your heart's content.

I use a cheap Dell (Latitude something-or-other) for work, and the most annoying thing about it is that it's really easy to screw up the pressure pad for the mouse - any pressure on the keyboard or base, or a knock, or a jolt on a train, or loads of stuff can render the mouse pointer completely unusable. Result of cheap, plasticy design. Wouldn't recommend one for any use at all.

bruno

est malade
hmm

joanofarctan said:
battery life

battery life on apple products is a joke. its' really that bad!

you still have a solid operating system, though. if you can live with a 1024x768 screen and have $$$$ you need this little beauty:

powerbook12top09162003.jpg

bruno said:
battery life on apple products is a joke. its' really that bad!

Wah joke?

4-6 hours for over 12 months is pretty good. All laptop batteries drain, but Apple's start off with a longer life than most PC laptops i've checked.

I had to buy a new battery after 16 months. I used it about 4 hours a day most weekdays.