Celebrity HipHop Boxing Tournament

luka

I read about this, just as an aside somewhere, years back. it said freddie foxx knocked Treach out in the first few seconds of the first round of the final. does anyone have any more information on this event. i've always wondered about it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
okay this is the only boxing thread out there.

can anyone give me pointers as to all-time classic fights to watch. i was always peripherally interested in boxing, but my interest has been piqued considerably over the past few days through much youtubing. So far this week I have watched Leonard-Duran, Hagler-Hearns (?) and lots of recent fights with Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Oh, I guess this should be moved to misc. - didn't realise it was in music.

CrowleyHead

All I can recall from this is Willie D knocking Melle Mel the fuck out.

Somebody needs to form a new one, where you have a tag teams consisting of Sean Price, Ghostface, Keith Murray and Freddie Foxxx. It would be beautiful.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah yeah, sorry I forgot to say that Ali's fights are the ones I'm familiar with from earlier reading/watching - if you haven't read the book by David Remnick, on Ali, Liston and Patterson, it's a classic.

Yep, the Ali-Frazier dynamic (and the way in which Ali demonised Foreman, too) was fascinating and q grim.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
pretty sure tim dog fought someone too, possibly on that "fuck compton" beef (edit: i was wrong about this. it seems tim dog didn't show up - after all that talk - so freddie foxx too it upon himself to fight tim's opponent too so there wouldn't be a stain on new york's honor. not making that up. freddie foxx is a badman)

willie d is a legit cat. if you're not reading his Formspring you should be. it's frequently amazing. http://www.formspring.me/WillieDLIVE

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ah yeah, watched some of eubank v watson (#1) yesterday. You forget how fierce Eubank was, well at least I did.

padraig (u.s.)

Ali demonised Foreman

rope a dope is an amazing fight no matter how many times you watch (even with the sadness of knowing it likely contributed to ali's current state)

the mickey ward-arturo gatti (rip) trilogy is great. brutal, but great.

everything evander holyfield from the late 80s up to those silly ass tyson fights. especially his fights with riddick bowe

padraig (u.s.)

emanuel augustus is always really fun to watch just b/c his style is so unique + bizarre. especially his fight w/mickey ward.