Who broke on the Internet first?

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Trying to think...I suppose any of the mash up guys who didn't already make a living doing music but went on to do stuff commercially (Richard X, Freelance Hellraiser guy) could be said to have broken on the web back in 01 / 02. What's interesting about them is that I can't imagine their having been able to do what they did and get noticed under any other circumstances (whereas M.I.A. is almost custom made for style magazines to promote and would have recieved a fair bit of attention with or without blog / discussion board word of mouth).

Weren't there a few bands that got signed with huge advances thanks to mp3.com back in the late 90s?

Woebot

boosted said:
That's a fuqin dumb comment ...

yeah it is isn't it! was slightly trying to stifle my standard MIA reaction (one of infuriation/irritation)

when i first read the piece i thought she'd said she was "the first person to break on the internet" only upon returning to it (cue explosive reaction on my behalf) and when i came back to it, i realised my mistake. still pure foolishness.

my gut reaction would be to say Dizzy Rascal was the first person to break on the internet (which was a long time ago with regards to MIA), but there MUST be a pre-history of artists coming to prominence via the web??? certainly richard x is a very good example- ilm/freaky trigger/boom selection must have played a big part in that

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I first read this thread title as "who broke the Internet first?". Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if MIA was behind all those connectino time-out problems I was getting this morning.

S

simon silverdollar

WOEBOT said:
my gut reaction would be to say Dizzy Rascal was the first person to break on the internet (which was a long time ago with regards to MIA), but there MUST be a pre-history of artists coming to prominence via the web???

i think dizzee got big cuz he was a huge star on the pirates and at raves. i'm not sure the internet played much of a role- may be it sped things up a little, but he was bound to get big with or without web-interest.

shudder

simon silverdollar said:
i think dizzee got big cuz he was a huge star on the pirates and at raves. i'm not sure the internet played much of a role- may be it sped things up a little, but he was bound to get big with or without web-interest.

maybe true for the U.K., but no one in North America would know him without the internet... Of course, that's true for almost all of grime!

C

captain easychord

gotta go with silverdollar on this one, i don't think you can say the internet broke dizzee on the same level that it has with some of the other artists being mentioned.

believekevin

<i>"M.I.A.: Well I think I'm one of the first people to break on the internet... HOLMES: Yeah you totally are."</i>

Why is this an outrageous statement? Without high-speed internet, there would be no MIA. Certainly breakcore, and any number of other genres share this dependency but would we say that those artists have "broken" to the same degree as MIA?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
captain easychord said:
gotta go with silverdollar on this one, i don't think you can say the internet broke dizzee on the same level that it has with some of the other artists being mentioned.

dizzee obviously came through the UK pirates primarily but there was definitely early (ie pre magazines /PR) and unprecedented levels of hype for him online esp from the US.