bands reforming

mms

sometimes
this in the "news"
gang of 4 reform http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/10661
i can't think of band who reform after a long time and it's not just an excercise in weird nostalga apart from maybe wire. anyone else?
i remember seeing suicide reformed, after just hearing their music before on lps and tapes and without really seeing how they looked , i actually laughted for about 20 mins at the ridiculousness of their appearance and how cartoonish and thin they really sounded.
this was a weird relief after beliving they were the grimmest glummest.

Last edited:

redcrescent

With everyone and their grandmother reuniting these days, with inferior results, perhaps the only band with integrity turns out to be ABBA, who famously refused a $ 1 billion offer for a reunion tour and album.
Björn Ulvaeus (the clean-shaven one?) rules out a reunion on cnn.
In their hearts, Gang of Four must know they cannot top Entertainment! . With the recent interest in "let's dance like it's 1982" punk-funk (!!!, Rapture, Radio 4 and all the rest of the Liquid Liquid wannabees), one has to be a bit cynical about this sort of maneuver...
Funny to think the ultimate commercial megaselling Europop group resists the temptation to cash in, while bands once respected for their artistic integrity apparently don't.

J

jimbackhouse

mms said:
i can't think of band who reform after a long time and it's not just an excercise in weird nostalga apart from maybe wire. anyone else?

Throbbing Gristle??

mms

sometimes
jimbackhouse said:
Throbbing Gristle??

yeah probably, they did it with some strange versioned dignity, they're doing it again soon of course.

and with all their odd histories since, much stranger and more out there than when they began doing it all, which makes a change from most bands who have usually been riding the quad bike around the farm or whatever.

Last edited:

redcrescent

Mission of Burma? The Magic Band?
How 'bout Henry Grimes? Not a band, but an amazing comeback anyway.

Last edited:

redcrescent

Trio_Mocoto3xx.jpg

Oh, and the amazing Trio Mocotó, who were Jorge Ben's backing band for "Força Bruta" and "Jorge Ben 1969" (which contains the original of "País Tropical"), worked with Toquinho, Chico Buarque, Vinicius de Moraes + others, and released their debut in 1971. Big influence on Brazilian drum 'n bass (they did the original "Carolina Carol Carolina Bela" with Ben, for example, which DJ Marky & XRS relicked as 'LK') and now back in full strength (easily the gig of the year for me when TM played after Gilberto Gil here in Vienna. Percussionist João Parahyba says, with complete respect for Gil: "You've heard our politicians, now hear us workers.") and with two great, great albums, Samba Rock and Beleza, Beleza, Beleza - party discs supreme, listen to me...

heiku

American Music Club. New album is one of their best ever.

reposed

mms said:
arthur lee's love was phenomenal at the RFH london a couple years back, but the trick of reproducing an album note for note wears thin. and jandek showed no time away can be too long if you never came out in the first place.

xero

was minusone
esg live a few years back were excellent, they brought in some new Scroggins blood to keep things perky

mms

sometimes
minusone said:
esg live a few years back were excellent, they brought in some new Scroggins blood to keep things perky

hmm i didn't think so, the newer members also seemed to have the stage prescence, ability and joy of a cardboard box too,bless em