new 1xtra schedule

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Looking at the new 1xtra schedule , I reckon they've shed a couple of so-so shows from their roster (the kind of ruthless squad-selection that Liverpool would be well advised to apply in order to challenge for Europe this season). Excalibah's mostly UK hip hop show has gone (it was always notable how few texts he got during his shows), Jay Da Flex's mostly instrumental garage show has been kicked to the curb, and Hot Sound have gone too. Semtex and Seani B both gets another show- both pretty cool I reckon.

But but but! Have Aftershock left the UK airwaves? I haven't seen them getting a Radio 1 show as far as I'm aware. Terror Danger and Scratcher were absolutely fantastic. I used to love the way Scratch used to called Terror "Tel" or "Terror Dizzle". I will always treasure memories of Terror and Sway rhyming over Forward, mimicking each of the original MCs bar by bar.

Last edited:
Aftershock can't go or they must have gone to Radio 1

I know nuff 'DJ's' who will be struggling to tape radio boots for their next show otherwise lol. Cameo is gonna get raped.

I feel sorry for Excalibah as his show was live but he'll survive - head nod UK hip hop does need a show though.

They f***** around with J Da - I feel sorry for 'the model' PLUS he was starting to promote broken beat and find his balance.

Hot Sound were bound to go - im sure they are gonna get slewed by waste people on RWD forum soon cos of this but they are the 'younger Heartless' so they should land on their feet.

Semtex was bound to grow - heavy show and presenter. Next stop Wastewood hopefully. Seani B I am surprised at - I'll tune into him a bit more.

C

captain easychord

seani b's show is heavy.

i agree about wastewood. as a north american who only recently discovered his show, i find that guy absolutely mindboggling.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
captain easychord said:
i agree about wastewood. as a north american who only recently discovered his show, i find that guy absolutely mindboggling.

westwood is hillarious. only grooverider's show gets near him in terms of ego and pantomime!

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
They've both earnt the right though.

I think it's a bit poor getting rid of Excalibah and then giving Semtex another 2 hours of Crunk n Grime. I thought it was great Excalibah was actually getting a chance to represent a countrywide UKHH show. Now you get more generic US hip hop and the odd Grime tune that's getting played by Richie, Cameo or in the daytime rotation anyway.

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
Tactics said:
They f***** around with J Da - I feel sorry for 'the model' PLUS he was starting to promote broken beat and find his balance.
Diggedy Derek said:
Jay Da Flex's mostly instrumental garage show has been kicked to the curb, and Hot Sound have gone too. Semtex and Seani B both gets another show- both pretty cool I reckon.

They should have never gotten rid of JDa's show....bad idea.

hopefully, he'll turn up soon.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Logan Sama said:
They've both earnt the right though.

I think it's a bit poor getting rid of Excalibah and then giving Semtex another 2 hours of Crunk n Grime. I thought it was great Excalibah was actually getting a chance to represent a countrywide UKHH show. Now you get more generic US hip hop and the odd Grime tune that's getting played by Richie, Cameo or in the daytime rotation anyway.

I wouldn't call Chamillionaire and all the Texan stuff Semtex busts "generic", though. He's (one of?) the only UK DJs playing this stuff. In fact, he plays more of it than most US radio DJs. Big up Semtex, I say. He's a good dude and I rate him.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Much Texan stuff in this week's playlisting?

I'm not too deep into the southern shit, so let me know if there is. I couldn't find any.

C

captain easychord

stelfox said:
I wouldn't call Chamillionaire and all the Texan stuff Semtex busts "generic", though. He's (one of?) the only UK DJs playing this stuff. In fact, he plays more of it than most US radio DJs.

it's amazing how slept on the Texan biz is at the moment, at least here in Toronto. People dismiss it as some novelty shit but they don't realize how much breadth the scene has. Just look at any online mixtape vendor, it's staggering how much activity going on down there.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
ah well, just go to houstonsoreal.blogspot.com and then buy i-D magazine next month (excuse the horrid self-promotion, but no one else is gonna do it, so i might as well). people are getting onto texas slowly but surely. still, it took a while for atlanta to break properly, too. and, yeah logan, friday and saturday show semtex hammering slim thug and paul wall and he gets deeper than that, too. and, anyway, friday saw him going from kardinal offishall (how i love that dude) to newham generals to jamrock to texan stuff via kanye's gold digga (best hip hop tune i've heard in ages), so ahem, yup, i still rate him, he's doing stuff no one else is willing to do (apart from me, but i don't have a show on 1xtra, so am happy to leave it up to him). he needs to play more devin the dude, though.

gumdrops

you have to rate westwood as well though. no idea what he plays these days but he was the first major hip hop DJ to really back the southern hip hop stuff to the max before it took over US hip hop. he was playing 3-6 mafia very early.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
anyone see Roll Deep on Westwood on Lord of the Decks 3? it was electric radio, but the video footage is even better. It's like this massive stand off between Roll Deep and Westwood. Best thing on LOTD3 by miles.