In Memoriam Deleuze

rishaug

Just found this tribute to Deleuze in a second hand store. It's mostly a collection of cod-electronica, drones and beeps. Has a nice sample of Deleuze himself speaking though and glossy linear notes, replete with an essay.

Anyway, I like the idea of a musical tribute to philosophers. The Danish composer Holmboe composed a requiem for Nietzsche which I've heard and enjoyed. There is a group who call themselves the Jean Paul Sartre Experience and Kurt Weill composed a piece inspired by Plato's Symposium.

There has yet to be a polka tribute to Heidegger though.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Weird compilation that. It's not that brilliant is it? Lots of substandard performances from the like of Alec Empire, Mouse ON Mars, Chris and Cosey etc. It's all a little restrained.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Diggedy Derek said:
Weird compilation that. It's not that brilliant is it? Lots of substandard performances from the like of Alec Empire, Mouse ON Mars, Chris and Cosey etc. It's all a little restrained.

Don't find the compilation substandard, quite the contrary, is one of my favorite records of the '90 and one of the better Mille Plateaux issues.

tate

Brown Sugar
There was a recording released in 2004 by SIRR records of seven pieces "inspired by the writings" of Maurice Blanchot which were made by various "sound artists." According to the website the contributors were Steve Roden, Toshyia Tsunoda, Brandon Labelle, Stephen Vitiello, Paulo Raposo, Julien Ottavi, and Christof Migone. I've not heard it, but if others have, I would be curious to know what you thought.

Information/ordering at: http://www.sirr-ecords.com/cat/18blanchot.html

zhao

there are no accidents
Tate said:
Steve Roden, Toshyia Tsunoda, Brandon Labelle, Stephen Vitiello, Paulo Raposo, Julien Ottavi, and Christof Migone.

this looks good! I'm going to try to get a copy.

I agree that Tribute to Deleuze was a quality compilation. a few of those tracks were absolutely stunning. the... Christophe Charles track was it? very nice.

there is another classic Mille Plateux remix album with Aube and Oval and Mouse on Mars that has D&G in the title... it has a snow cover, that one is very nice too.

Let's just hope Achim keeps up the quality in the future... the Transformation and Modulation series had only a few gems in piles of mediocre crap.

it's funny everytime I see Dolce and Gabanna label (on some of my own clothes too) I think of Deleuze and Guatarri... ha

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
it's funny everytime I see Dolce and Gabanna label (on some of my own clothes too) I think of Deleuze and Guatarri... ha

tis funny i had a girlfriend way back who talked big about d and g but not dolce and his pal.i wonder how many of those people on that comp actually knew about deluze n' guatarri...

zhao

there are no accidents
mms said:
i wonder how many of those people on that comp actually knew about deluze n' guatarri...

and everyone I've heard quoting A Thousand Plateux has always been from the first 15 pages. probabaly on average that's how much people are able to get through. I myself lasted 80 or so pages :)

we should do a poll on this forum. ha! :D

jwd

Tate said:
There was a recording released in 2004 by SIRR records of seven pieces "inspired by the writings" of Maurice Blanchot which were made by various "sound artists." According to the website the contributors were Steve Roden, Toshyia Tsunoda, Brandon Labelle, Stephen Vitiello, Paulo Raposo, Julien Ottavi, and Christof Migone. I've not heard it, but if others have, I would be curious to know what you thought.

Information/ordering at: http://www.sirr-ecords.com/cat/18blanchot.html

SIRR records also did a great 'tribute' disc to Chris Marker entitled Sul, and they've released a double CD of 'tributes' to Stockhausen's Gesang der Junglinge. SIRR is a real quality label actually - their discs by Steve Roden and Jason Kahn are incredible - well worth checking out.

As per: the Deleuze thing, he's had a fair few tributes hasn't he - there's the two CDs on Sub Rosa that came out around the same time as the Mille Plateaux disc, they were quite nice, not earthshattering. Also the Richard Pinhas stuff.

The big daddy of the theory labels at the moment would have to be Suppose though wouldn't it - www.suppose.de

zhao

there are no accidents
jwd said:
SIRR records also did a great 'tribute' disc to Chris Marker entitled Sul, and they've released a double CD of 'tributes' to Stockhausen's Gesang der Junglinge. SIRR is a real quality label actually - their discs by Steve Roden and Jason Kahn are incredible - well worth checking out.

As per: the Deleuze thing, he's had a fair few tributes hasn't he - there's the two CDs on Sub Rosa that came out around the same time as the Mille Plateaux disc, they were quite nice, not earthshattering. Also the Richard Pinhas stuff.

The big daddy of the theory labels at the moment would have to be Suppose though wouldn't it - www.suppose.de

I'll look into SIRR, and RIchard Pinhas and Suppose... Steve Roden's work is lovely. he played several times at a micro-sound concert series I used to put on... really nice guy too.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
The only track I was surprised and impressed by on that In Memoriam GD comp was the one by Ian Pooley. It was suitably understated and un-dancey for a tribute to someone who had died, but had some interesting sounds in it. I guess that was after his early Force Inc 12s and before he did an album.

The Mouse on Mars tune I quite liked too, but I got it a year or two later on their Instrümentals record, and at that point sold the compilation off.

I find where music has some supposed non-musical inspiration it always feels like a bit of a gulf between the intention and the results. Particularly with instrumental music, is it really possible for a listener to pick that someone was trying to take to heart some philosophical point or mimic the paintily textures of some artist?

I'm sure when most people are writing they have things going through their heads which either relate to their reason for writing or influence their process, but I'm not sure of the benefits of presenting this stuff to listeners. Does it really give people a better feel for what you were trying to achieve? Are people listening to assess the results in this manner anyway?

Hmm...

zhao

there are no accidents
michael said:
is it really possible for a listener to pick that someone was trying to take to heart some philosophical point or mimic the paintily textures of some artist?

a direct musical translation of D&G's philosophical points would be improvised music. especially the kind of "free" music which uses phrases and "quotations" or just fleeting feelings of music from other parts of the world. the music would embody all the important espects of D+G's aesthetic of the rhizome: borderless, alient to deep structure, connectable to any other point, nomadic, etc, etc.

now digital disco seems a bit silly in relation to all this...

bruno

est malade
i don't know what people expect from compilations anyway, they're irregular by definition. in this one the deleuze-guattari theme is an excuse, but it sets the mood quite nicely. though it's hit and miss the hits are numerous and sonically interesting (and a bit gloomy).

the tobias hazan contribution is very very nice. i never found much else by him except another compilation track, 'chaos in expansion'. does anyone know if he recorded anything else?

vache

there is another classic Mille Plateux remix album with Aube and Oval and Mouse on Mars that has D&G in the title... it has a snow cover, that one is very nice too.
I think this came out on Sub Rosa?
Let's just hope Achim keeps up the quality in the future... the Transformation and Modulation series had only a few gems in piles of mediocre crap.
Agreed with the exception of the final volume (#4) which is 90% great music. Somehow the fates came together on that one and managed to extract excellent tracks from artists whom I usually dislike like Terre Thaemlitz.

cassette

There are tracks by Tobias Hazan on several other Sub Rosa compilations, most of which are compiled on his album Vowel Architecture.

Rambler

Awanturnik
vache said:
I think this came out on Sub Rosa?

Agreed with the exception of the final volume (#4) which is 90% great music. Somehow the fates came together on that one and managed to extract excellent tracks from artists whom I usually dislike like Terre Thaemlitz.

Here's the Sub Rosa one.

There's a whole essay on the Delueze-Guattari/electronic music collide here for those that want.

dHarry

confucius said:
a direct musical translation of D&G's philosophical points would be improvised music. especially the kind of "free" music which uses phrases and "quotations" or just fleeting feelings of music from other parts of the world. the music would embody all the important espects of D+G's aesthetic of the rhizome: borderless, alient to deep structure, connectable to any other point, nomadic, etc, etc.

now digital disco seems a bit silly in relation to all this...

D&G explicitly warn against the temptation to posit "free" or avant-garde music as examples of their insights - they would surely be far more likely to point to something like the original hardcore/rave/jungle as a deterritorialised music rhizome par excellence, "which uses phrases and "quotations" or just fleeting feelings of music from other parts of the world... borderless, alient to deep structure, connectable to any other point, nomadic". A machinic, functionalist music without meaning, pure process, creating its own circulations of intensities according to its immanent economies; that's what D&G want both their post-philosophy and the art they are interested in to be.

Example - Guattari in an 80's interview (on the web somewhere) plays the interviewee a sampladelic hip-hop track using a Ronald Reagan sample (5 Minutes - Bonzo Goes to Washington a.k.a. talking head jerry harrison)... not the latest audio installation artist whose work investigates the nature of sound in the post-modern... blah blah blah

zhao

there are no accidents
dHarry said:
D&G explicitly warn against the temptation to posit "free" or avant-garde music as examples of their insights - they would surely be far more likely to point to something like the original hardcore/rave/jungle as a deterritorialised music rhizome par excellence,

A machinic, functionalist music without meaning, pure process, creating its own circulations of intensities according to its immanent economies; that's what D&G want both their post-philosophy and the art they are interested in to be.

a sampladelic hip-hop track ... not the latest audio installation artist whose work investigates the nature of sound in the post-modern... blah blah blah

this does make sense... and very heart warming innit? that the old french theory geezers are down with the boom boom.

but mind you improvised music does not equal academia. there are loads of "free" music being made under the radar, on street level, always has been, it's a tradition as old as music itself... and to my mind is very rhizomatic. do you know what their beef with free jazz is?

zhao

there are no accidents
and it seems to me that old school jungle is not "connectable to any other point", after all, you can only mix it with hiphop, dub, and other jungle.

where as an AMM or an Ottomo Yoshihide record you can pretty much mix anything with...

also the beat structures of drum'n'bass or hard techno seems like a flirtation with the fascist aesthetic to me. invigorating in its regimentation and conformist regime. which seems to go completely against D&G's ideas...

?