People with Macs

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
Well, are you happy? I've been thinking about making the switch, but of course I have my concerns. This is all just general, but do you have any regrets? What (in your opinion) are the pros and cons of using one? I was thinking about getting a iBook, but read that it would not be great for tons of Photoshop editing and the like...which I have open almost all the time. Any help would be appreciated.

rewch

the only con as far as i can see is that you might be mistaken for some sort of slavish style obsessive... & if you play lots of games they may not be available... otherwise deep joy all round... having said that i haven't used an ibook much & don't know about the ps issue...seems to work just fine on my work machine (also open all the time) - admittedly not a laptop, but 4 years old, so...

Photoshop CS runs just fine on Mac OS X. You'll probably need to add a memory card to your bill if you're processing large images. My iBook with 640MB RAM had real trouble processing a 7x15 meter graphic, but that's quite an exceptional case. You're running on Unix so you've got all the batch editing comfort of Image Magick from the command line without much fuss.

Pro's:

OS X - an O/S that just works. No really.
Tapping into 25 years of interface design expertise.
Apple - a company that understands technology is not just business.
Solid hardware design.

Cons:

It's not linux so you miss out on a load of software. Luckily with Fink, you've got almost everything ported.

Mac OS X is the best of both worlds - a great interface sitting on a powerful UNIX core - and the best all-round operating system on the market. Good for beginners and serious programmers alike.

When Linux users ask me what the hell they're paying the extra money for when it comes to Apple, i just say:

Immaculate design.

Which they brush off as superfluous. They are mistaken. Design is everything.

Last edited:

ome

turning this into a platform war thread to be taken very seriously ;)

people with Macs.. when i worked for a computer sales company (video equipment) we always had to add 5% on the price as they always asked for more support.. windows people seemed to solve the techy solutions themselves having a self motivated work ethic, where Mac people required an ostentatious well presented authority to tell them what to do.

i look forward to a future (next year with the Intel Macs) when i can boot up into being a protestant (windows), an atheist (UNIX) or a catholic (Mac)..

-rafs

shudder

ome said:
people with Macs.. when i worked for a computer sales company (video equipment) we always had to add 5% on the price as they always asked for more support.. windows people seemed to solve the techy solutions themselves having a self motivated work ethic, where Mac people required an ostentatious well presented authority to tell them what to do.

That might be true for relatively techy PC users (i.e.video equipment), but I usually have found the opposite to be true... Of course, that almost certainly has to do with my being a relatively Mac user, and thus knowing more techy mac users than most would...

rewch

ome said:
turning this into a platform war thread to be taken very seriously ;)

i look forward to a future (next year with the Intel Macs) when i can boot up into being a protestant (windows), an atheist (UNIX) or a catholic (Mac)..

-rafs

have to say this doesn't come as any surprise... have always used both & can see your point... one of the cons i had overlooked... mac design does a good job of papering over the cracks... ms bollocks doesn't so you can tinker more obviously... but then that's a good thing too... not necessarily for those who like tinkering but most people don't & want something that works without having to know why or how...

joanofarctan... dealing with 15m graphics are likely to give any processor the jitters i'd say... eek!