Analord Revisited

juliand

Inspired by Blissblog's recent aside on the AFX "Analord" series--in which he calls it a "White Stripesy retro-move by RDJ that's actually paid off big time"--I'm curious to know if others agree. There's a Dissensus thread on Analord already <a href="http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=385&highlight=analord">here</a>, but its devoted primarily to the series as it came out--and is primarily negative. The pricing, the packaging, et cetera. The discussion is understandably discouraged about the releases as they emerged: I must say I too found/find the collector-dude mania around them a huge turn off, and have only come to the actual music with trepidation.

But now its a collection of objects in the world. I've been listening to them for a couple weeks and finding them muddily, sporadically brilliant. Analord's textures are gorgeous, their melodies unpredictable, alien, and lovely. I'm not so sure whether it works as a gestalt, as, say, "Tago Mago," where the difficult bits are part of some ineradicable whole; many of the shortest pieces read as minor sketches, pure and simple. It is almost as if his ambition is commensurate to the length of the song--see "Xmd5a", "Analoggins", "Boxing Day", all over six minutes--though there are some stunning shorter songs--"Breath March," and "PWSteal.Ldpinch.D" in particular. Still, too many shorter songs are throwaways, or red herrings, or lazy choices.

Nevertheless I'm increasingly convinced there's something of (great) worth to be excavated. So I'm hoping we might talk about where, exactly, and how, the series might have "paid off big time".

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
there is some lovely stuff there but i wouldn't call it retro musically, it's not trax or anything - its all quite fresh and modern sounding except its on old gear.
Thats surely a devotion to sound and also a point of getting away from the wigged out drill and bass ultra programmed thing that has been cloying - it also makes the sound harder to copy which is usually what happens whenever he makes tunes, a whole set of missing the point clones.
Some of it is just boring though, i'm convinced by the _absolutley aphex at his best and playing loads of new stuff- dj set at the glade that there is bag fulls of better stuff on the way . There has been loads of acid out recently though, its really a sound i'd like a rest from for a very long time, even though it still has the power at times to tear the cranium to bits.

juliand

I was thinking of those posts, Nick. Have you been too deep in dubstep to be listening back much to Aphex?

I'll get back to them at some point, but I'm 'resting' this month. Must say I'm getting a more immediate kick out of Ed DMX's latest offerings.

Incidently, I was so astonished at Simon's approval of Analord I had to e-mail him and check he was feeling okay. I think he was as surprised as everyone else!

Mika

Feeling Ok?

It's funny, because I only just got around to finally listening to the Analord series a few days before Simon's post, and I was also struck by how much I enjoyed it. Great stuff, wonderfully crafted - makes me realize what a fantastic producer Richard James can be.

I suppose the retro-element reminds me of his earlier records, so that's part of the appeal; but being packaged and set-up as a kind of mini-simulacrum of 'dance-culture', quite self-consciously, provides enough of a distancing effect to appreciate the move conceptually. Enclosing the project as a tribute, rather than a retread.

Some favorites - 'Phonatacid', 'MC-4 Acid', 'I'm Self-Employed' and 'Pissed Up in SE1'

juliand

"I'm Self-Employed" is great, yeah.

Considered as a whole, I think a third of the songs are duff. But I would humbly submit that it's not a bad average for Aphex, I felt the same way about "I Care Because You Do".

I think that on the whole 06 and 10 are the sharpest. (If I recall Nick agreed?) In fact, the even records are it, for me, save 02, which I was nonplussed by, and with honorable mention to 01.

The tracks I'm returning to repeatedly are as follows (I'd love to know if there's something I've overlooked):

Where's Your Girlfriend?
Breath March
Crying In Your Face
Snivel Chew
I'm Self Employed
PWSteal.Ldpinch
Backdoor.Berbew.Q
Backdoor.Spyboter.A
Xmd5A
Fenix Funk 5
Analoggins
Stepping Filter 101
Boxing Day
VBS.Redlof.B

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Mika said:
It's funny, because I only just got around to finally listening to the Analord series a few days before Simon's post, and I was also struck by how much I enjoyed it. Great stuff, wonderfully crafted - makes me realize what a fantastic producer Richard James can be.

I suppose the retro-element reminds me of his earlier records, so that's part of the appeal; but being packaged and set-up as a kind of mini-simulacrum of 'dance-culture', quite self-consciously, provides enough of a distancing effect to appreciate the move conceptually. Enclosing the project as a tribute, rather than a retread.

Some favorites - 'Phonatacid', 'MC-4 Acid', 'I'm Self-Employed' and 'Pissed Up in SE1'

i think he just wanted to release a load of mainly acid tracks and thought it would be a tasty thing to release them like this

zhao

there are no accidents
juliand said:
I'm not so sure whether it works as a gestalt, as, say, "Tago Mago,"

ok, what is this new Dissensus trend of comparing EVERY RECORDING TO CAN???

what's up with this? I thought the Sigor Ros comparisson to can was ridiculous but AFX?!?!

there needs to be a "what the fuck" smilie.

juliand

I never implied Analord sounds like Tago Mago. On the contrary, I said that unlike Tago Mago, the less appealing bits of Analord do not work as part of an organic whole.

zhao

there are no accidents
juliand said:
I never implied Analord sounds like Tago Mago. On the contrary, I said that unlike Tago Mago, the less appealing bits of Analord do not work as part of an organic whole.

yes yes I understood what you meant first time around -- well OFCOURSE "the less appealing bits of Analord do not work as part of an organic whole"! because it's not an album, but a series of 12 inches!

still too many comparisons to can on this forum for comfort.

juliand

confucius said:
still too many comparisons to can on this forum for comfort.

Then for "Tago Mago" read "There's a Riot Goin' On"; "Sandinista"; "Aonox"; "Joia"; "R."; "Gems of Masochism"; "L'Incendie"; "Hounds of Love"; or any collection of songs where you think the gestalt justifies its lesser or throwaway parts. Unlike Analord!

I do take your point of it being a series of 12"s rather than a single object. But I take the shared title, the sequential numbering, and the internal consistency of the project, to at least imply some kind of "entirety". It's not an album, but like it or not its a "body of work". Its particular form and lack of gestalt is what makes some "navigational" efforts necessary. It's four bloody hours of music. What's worth listening to?

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
juliand said:
It's four bloody hours of music. What's worth listening to?
quite
it's a v.similar urge that the ageing aphex twinnies experience when realising that he (usually will be) must own the lot that the general populus get in times of full i-pod immersion.I've heard the phrase "culture of over abundance" used recently and this series is by product of that elment of the zeitgest.....

mind you how long was Druqs?

navigational;
number 3 has a great track
the white side of the picture disk is funky
number 2 although a Larry Heard tribute band is fairly covincing.
loads of shorter scribbles that are charming

and i like the fact that its a fuckabout handling the things.

zhao

there are no accidents
3underscore said:
It will be worse in Future days. Maybe you should watch a Monster Movie to calm down.

but I Landed Soon Over Babaluma, and my Flow Motion has been made Out of Reach by all this rhetorical Cannibalism!!!

:mad:

mms

sometimes
i was just listening to some ram records bits, and some dj fresh bits and my girlfriend quite accurately pointed out that they sound, structurally and in terms of accents and quality of the sounds just like the analord and tuss stuff.

muser

there is some lovely stuff there but i wouldn't call it retro musically

I don't know the music itself is not 'retro' within a genre but it definitely sounds like early afx stuff so in that sense its retro aphex twin (allthough that doesnt really make sense), when i first heard a few of the releases and i hadn't heard anything about them I thought they were unreleased tracks from his early days.

Last edited:

trouc

trouc
I was sortof convinced for a while this was some anti-chicago/detroit black ops by just how bad it is ("that's acid? fuck it then!") Maybe that's a little paranoid though