Raï?

sufi

lala
i've been loving these compilations:
Culture Rai
Rai the Gold Collection

on some of the older(?) tracks there's some lovely hammondish sounds, but there are a few that have some ruff electronic synth & beatbox
this un particularly: cheb hamid lush
& this one surprised me cheb sahraoui & fadela - heard that sampled somewhere perhaps??
more on the blog...

i get the feeling that there are a lot of gems that ain't made it to cd - rai being a cassette culture & there's not much in inglish on google about these lot... or rai, apart from the giants - Khaled, Mami... & of couse the Rai's martyred saint: Cheb Hasni ,

so ... anyone recommend some more, please?
& any shops in londonistan?, i'm thinking more finsbury park than edgeware road??

luka

when i worked in pret a manger it was full of algerians. they loed that stuff. it was always on the stereo.

Woebot

sufi said:
so ... anyone recommend some more, please?
& any shops in londonistan?, i'm thinking more finsbury park than edgeware road??

as far as rai goes (and I know fuck all about it) this:

e81032a2qe1.jpg

is the bomb.

cheb khaled's "hada raykoum"

all synth backdrop, swirling electronic muezzins, full pocking drum machines and cheb in absolute overdrive chanting about girls and whiskey.

mental

sufi

lala
Thanks!

trouble with Khaled is he's prolific and gets lots of euro-productions which come out a bit ... bland, y'know, so i'm happy to get a recommendation of something juicy... :)

zhao

there are no accidents
I love this stuff but don't know very much about it at all. have a few odd things here and there... what are some modern, dj-friendly artists or albums? like with more pronounced beats that would mix well with dancehall or DnB or hiphop.

cheers

sufi

lala
and what's the difference between Raï & Chaabi????

welllllllll.... someone was explaining today.... Raï (راي - opinion) is more about the sweet voice ...
whereas Chaabi (شعبي - popular) is more to do with darbuuuuuuuka!

that sounds a bit inexact.

crofton

listen to the interplay of voice and violin on this, Mami's "Ana mazel...". crazy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah great tune.

i really love a lot of the cuts on the Rough Guide Rai episode, and there is another older comp called Rai Rebels or some such which is awesome as well. some of those older tunes are absolutely wicked

Last edited:

crofton

Saw Khaled a few weeks ago, I had mixed expectations to be honest cos wasn't really feeling some of his recent tunes but he smashed it, undoubtedly the best gig I've been to for a long while .....

When he did Didi the place exploded.

zhao

there are no accidents
Saw Khaled a few weeks ago, I had mixed expectations to be honest cos wasn't really feeling some of his recent tunes but he smashed it, undoubtedly the best gig I've been to for a long while .....

When he did Didi the place exploded.

where was this? i can only imagine...

zhao

there are no accidents
oh and forgot to mention i uploaded some stuff that i brought back from Morrocco here and here. i really love them... none of which are available in Europe or the US.

glottis5

listen to the interplay of voice and violin on this, Mami's "Ana mazel...". crazy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that's amazing

massrock

Not post this one (with possible nuum significance)?

Cheb Mami - Douni Lebladi

zhao said:
like with more pronounced beats that would mix well with dancehall or DnB or hiphop.
Heard some Rai / Dancehall 'fusion' stuff on random London station yesterday. Wasn't quite sure if I was hearing it right at first...

muser

was looking into Rai t'other day just because I wanted to hear some music from Algeria didn't know anything about it, really like this song though. Weird mix of drum machnies, synthesizers and "real instruments".

Cheb Mami incidentally

crofton

That Douni Lebladi is nice too.

Zhao: some years back a few hip hop type crossover things ... e.g. this:

(Khaled, Fonky Family, Les ennemis).

Sure there's more but can't think what atm.

Rai / Dancehall 'fusion' stuff

was it good ?? interesting ... would like to hear some.

petergunn

plywood violin
I love this stuff but don't know very much about it at all. have a few odd things here and there... what are some modern, dj-friendly artists or albums? like with more pronounced beats that would mix well with dancehall or DnB or hiphop.

cheers

sounds like you are looking for reggada...

tho, there is some stuff by rai singers like Cheb Bilal that def works:

i just got back from morocco with a nice stack of cd's and dedicated this week's radio show to it:

www.viva-radio.com/cleanandhumble

plenty of club friendly stuff in there, as well as traditional rai classics...