Essential iPod hacks etc

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Alright, got given an iPod (thanks Mum!).

The silly things HD is as big as my home PCs HD, so I'm running it off my work computer (G5 iMac) till I get me a new PC later this year.

But in the meantime, is there any essential hacks or whatever to get for the mac to help make my iPod better?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
You could have a go at completely replacing Apple's firmware with Rockbox. Plays basically every audio format (although I've found my iriver is a bit shaky with WMA.. whatever); gapless playback, heaps of customisable themes and plugins (including being able to play Doom on the thing!?), make playlists really easily and flexibly on the fly, and you can use the thing as a portable hard drive with no need for software on your computer... therefore, can use with yr home PC and work Mac if you want, plus use it as a portable HD.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox

Rockbox for the iPod 4G, Color, Nano and Video models all have a very wide range of codec support - MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Musepack, FLAC, AAC, ALAC, AC3 and WavPack are all supported in Rockbox. Additional music playback features include gapless playback and customizable crossfading, as well as a five-band fully-parametric equalizer to fine-tune sound output. iPods also get ReplayGain support for volume level normalization, and a large number of plugins, including games, applications, and "demos" - have some fun when you've got some free time to kill, open files with the text viewer, make use of the stopwatch, view some JPEG photos, or turn your iPod into a desktop clock. Also enjoy On-The-Go playlist creation and adjustment, full file bookmarking support and much more.

I heard the new iPods can play video..? Rockbox doesn't do that, unfortunately. On my iriver I can do a dual boot type thing, so if I want to watch vids on the train or whatever I just boot into the original OS (really easily - just hold down an extra button when you turn it on). Could well be similar on an iPod.

I think Omaar's running linux on his...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
You can use the i-pod as a hard drive for PC/Mac without software, you just need to format it originally on a PC, comes in handy.

The video i-pod rocks, very handy little thing.