bhangra / Rai

zhao

there are no accidents
there was a thread about this but I can't find it.

I have no cultural-anthropological insights or theories on these subjects to offer right now... just want some recommendations.

what artists are crucial in the underground? I mean the hottest club bangers but also the stranger, darker things hidden in back of the crates.

anyone in the know about Bhangra or Rai ?

tanks in advance ! ! !

evergreen

that's not true......

don't know about underground, but Tigerstyle are great ... loads of mashups with hip-hop and jump-up and what have you.

zhao

there are no accidents
intensive sounds has some nice downloads. appreciate the pointer.

I heard a snippet of a Beanie Man and Punjabi MC collaboration on some German website a while back... the 15 seconds of it sounded ace! anyone heard that?

I found a local specialty music shop for South Asian stuff, (right next to an amazing Indian restaurant) and they have an online shop too:

http://www.zibamusic.com/index.php?cPath=1_16

it seems won't be difficult finding the club hits, but I won't rest until I find the real bhangra illness...

no one knows about any new crucial Rai?

sufi

lala
desi?

i heard some great desi (?) music on radio 1 a while ago,
mcs with names like crisis loan, social security, asbo....
it was wick, :)
altho i think it was nihal who i think's a div, is that the same as bhangra, or what's the diff then?

gabriel

The Heatwave
confucius said:
I heard a snippet of a Beanie Man and Punjabi MC collaboration on some German website a while back... the 15 seconds of it sounded ace! anyone heard that?

that's called Jogi and was widely available on vinyl a year or so ago. wasn't madly impressed by it though... certainly not as a beenie man / punjabi mc collaboration OUGHT to be

stelfox

Beast of Burden
go for my favourite bhangra album, pardesi dhola by satwinder bitti. it's a scorcher and the final track, boliyaan, is probably one of my fave tracks of all time, not just bhangra.

What are the relationships between these musics and what you hear on BBC Punjabi Hit Squad?

there's absolutely no relationship between rai, which is mainly algerian, and the music played by panjabi hit squad, really, but bhangra is a different matter. bhangra is the absolute root of phs, rdb, tigerstyle and all those dudes.

mms

sometimes
i was on the bus on saturday and someone had left a cdr behind on the seat.Being curious i took it home, when i put it on my computer it had about 70 rai tracks on it !
not listened to it all but listened to a couple, not really feeling it

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Check out:

Dr Zeus' album (can't recall the name)
The 'Danger' compilations
Several bootleg compilations with Punjabi rapping over US hip-hop beats or vie versa
Metz and Trix are q good
Tigerstyle, as noted above

There's a great woebot article on this (thanks Matt!) from a while back - and get to Southall those of you who live in/near London, for all your desi listening pleasures!

As for rai, would love to know more about modern rai/hip-hop collabs/crossovers...