who's going out on sunday?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
dj/rupture on the decks at 93 feet east and theo parrish at plastic people... short walk from each other... both will be fab... i can't make my mind up so will be checking one after the other.

nick.K

gabba survivor
never seen rupture live, surely this'd be an occassion. Er.. doesn't Theo Parrish play Plastic people every few months. Also... has any one checked Fabric's Mayer residency. Is it worth a look?

S

simon silverdollar

yeah i think i'll try to make it to dj rupture...if i'm not in too bad a way after fabric on saturday...

xero

was minusone
definitely going to plastic people, would also love to hear mayer but just can't do fabric anymore - does anyone else feel this way? despite the at times brilliant programming & promotion, the club is just too big & too many dicks for my liking

stelfox

Beast of Burden
rupture is worth checking out. theo plays at plastic people every so often but it's not a regular thing by any stretch. apparently moodyman played this night a few weeks ago and was stunning, too. i missed it and am forever pissed off, considering that i heard he was talking on the mic and taking requests from the crowd...

Last edited:

xero

was minusone
stelfox said:
apparently moodyman played this night a few weeks ago and was stunning, too. i missed it and am forever pissed off, considering that i heard he was talking on the mic and taking requests from the crowd...

quite contrary to his moniker & rep then

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
minusone said:
definitely going to plastic people, would also love to hear mayer but just can't do fabric anymore - does anyone else feel this way? despite the at times brilliant programming & promotion, the club is just too big & too many dicks for my liking

So glad someone else has noticed this. Fantastic programming most of the time, but the policy of letting in as many people as possible until dancing becomes impossible, and, as you say, the unnaturally high dick concentration which often approaches a penal critical mass, prevent me from enjoying it.

xero

was minusone
and almost everybody spends the whole night traipsing between one room and another in a perpetual state of dissatisfaction with where they've just been, the fatal consequence of having two main rooms

stelfox

Beast of Burden
just follow my strategy. find what you want to listen to (it's not hard with akufen, villalobos and michael mayer all within one month of one another), find a spot on the floor and stay there. it's pretty easy.

for the record: most people would kill for a club like fabric in their town, bringing the sort of artists they do over to perform, including 95 per cent of san fransicans and new yorkers i know, so stop fucking moaning!

stelfox

Beast of Burden
and i mean that with all due respect - i'll agree that the place is too big but i think we're all pretty lucky with the choices we have in london and people spend too much time trying to find something to *not enjoy* than they do throwing themselves into having fun and supporting good things.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
minusone said:
and almost everybody spends the whole night traipsing between one room and another in a perpetual state of dissatisfaction with where they've just been,

That made me laugh: sounds like a meditation upon life.

As for Fabric, I reserve the right to complain: been to a few places in both New York and Vienna and had a MUCH better time than I've ever had in Fabric, with better music to boot. So, all you New Yorkers and Viennese - count your blessings too ;) It's the atmosphere at Fabric that turns so many people off, anyway, and atmosphere counts for a lot.

Sorry Mr Stelfox, promise not to interrupt again. :eek:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
stelfox said:
and i mean that with all due respect - i'll agree that the place is too big but i think we're all pretty lucky with the choices we have in london and people spend too much time trying to find something to *not enjoy* than they do throwing themselves into having fun and supporting good things.

Damn your spectacularly un-English, reasonably-argued rebuke to grumbling discontent!

I love London, and most of the places I've been to are friendly enough. Fabric stands out as an exception in a great city to me.

Oops, I've done it again.

xero

was minusone
sorry it was my fault for meandering off topic, should have started an anti-fabric thread and waited for fellow miserable bitter sods to join me but just couldn't wait to get it off my chest. It's true that great artists come and play at fabric, they got that bit spot on - but that's exactly my point - a lot of these people only play at fabric (i'm thinking of mayer, villalobos and, er some others that don't come to mind) and nowhere else in London so if you don't like the place yer stuffed. Anyway, to return to the subject at hand, thank god for PP and their booking of top spinners that you can gop hear in a shoebox where noone has any choice but to stay in the same spot and get with it

stelfox

Beast of Burden
time to revive this.... i decided not to bother with theo as i've seen him both here and in the states a few times lately, so went to see rupture, supersoul and ove-naxx at 93ft east.

ove-naxx was hilarious. really funny - looked like cousin it out of the addams family and made a tremendous racket, but with a real sense of humour. was lauging out loud throughout his set (and i normally find breakcore pretty dour and uninspiring). supersoul, a beta bodega-signed undie hip-hop outfit, were, perhaps unsurprisingly, absolutely shit. wack beats, crappy, stilted, up its arse rapping - a total waste of 40 minutes of my life. rupture was great, but it does make wonder that it takes a harvard-educated american, living in barcelona to make london's avant/experimetal audience really listen to proper east london grime (not of the rephlex, not very grimy at all variety) . i was well happy to hear him play the fwd rhythm, l-sov's "ch-ching" and a few other bits, but virtually no one there knew the records.... this makes me think a lot of people in this city are pretty lazy and shld listen to the radio more.

boomnoise

♫
was it really that bad dave? i would have thought that rupture's core audience are quite informed on this stuff and it's position in the ragga-dancehall-hiphop axis.

i couldn't make it despite living right around the corner. but i would have been bruppin' it up had i been there.

went to see him at the rfh for street music arabe, his djing there didn't get too grimey but i wasn't expecting it to. would have loved to have seen him at 93fE

so what was the crowd like - was it avant types? tigerbeat student types or what?? was it too much resonance without rinse perhaps?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
no, it wasn't bad. the crowd was cool and i'm not being unpleasant about anyone there. i had a good time both musically and socially; nice atmosphere and i met several new people who i really enjoyed talking to.
what i'm getting at is that (and this is totally a personal perception, not by any means a concrete fact) among more avant-savvy circles, people tend to *like* dancehall/grime/etc quite a lot and are always interested when it gets played. the thing is that they don't necessarily make much of an effort to hear it on their own.... it's like it needs to be mediated and approved by a middleman like rupture or rephlex b4 it's really properly embraced... anyone know what i mean?
my theory is that this is because street musics like these are dangerously "pop" and thus something many people aren't quite comfortable with (as a side note, take for instance soca being recently "validated" by the damon albarn-funded comp on honest john's or what kevin martin does as the bug - to all intents and purposes making dancehall palatable to an avant/indie audience by a process of sonic *bleaching*... totally apt word that, what with the end result being chemical, brash, caustic and very, very pale). so i'm not dissing anything other than the fact that it's a bit daft!

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
baboon2004 said:
So glad someone else has noticed this. Fantastic programming most of the time, but the policy of letting in as many people as possible until dancing becomes impossible, and, as you say, the unnaturally high dick concentration which often approaches a penal critical mass, prevent me from enjoying it.

fabric has long been known as the most rubbish overrated club in the capital. its essentially just a meat market with the flattest atmosphear i've ever had the misfortune to endure. i don't care whos playing, i'm not going there.

for me it sums up just how far rave culture has fallen from its original ideals that this shithole is lauded as the cream of the crop.

but apart from that, its great.