Let's talk about the new Animal Collective

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
Amazinggggg

Don't alot of people like them here? Either way, they're one of the only rock bands I actually keep up to date with these days, and I like this alot. I feel like this is the one that will make them recognized and "respected" by the media, in the same way that say, Stereolab was...maybe even more so. (But in my opinion, Here Comes The Indian should have been the one to do that.)

Loving "Did you hear the words", "Purple Bottle", "Grass", and "Loch Raven"

Anyone heard it?

EDIT: It's called "Feels"

Last edited:

mpc

wasteman
i've heard 'grass', which is horrible.

i'm only interested in them when they collaborate with my gyal vashti bunyan.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Got the album today, and after one listen it's pretty great. Definitely the kind of thing that deserves a place in best ofs the year for Time Out, Guardian etc at the very least. I haven't got into it enough to say if I love it yet.

I do think it's not quite as good as the stuff they did with Vashti Bunyan, though. I thought that was staggeringly good. The fact that they had a play-mate meant there was more interchange, more sense of dialogue in the music, and for me it was the most rewarding thing they've done.

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
mpc, care to explain why?

Diggedy Derek said:
Got the album today, and after one listen it's pretty great. Definitely the kind of thing that deserves a place in best ofs the year for Time Out, Guardian etc at the very least. I haven't got into it enough to say if I love it yet.

I do think it's not quite as good as the stuff they did with Vashti Bunyan, though. I thought that was staggeringly good. The fact that they had a play-mate meant there was more interchange, more sense of dialogue in the music, and for me it was the most rewarding thing they've done.

I'm the exact opposite. I thought it was okay, but their earlier stuff and Feels really seem to get me. The lyrics more mature (no more talk about cats like on Prospect Hummer), and seems to be an almost perfect mix of their more pop side (Prospect Hummer, Sung Tongs), and the experimental side (Hollindagain, Here Comes The Indian). Examples, check out Did you see the words and especially Loch raven.

Woebot

really looking forward to this. havent picked up "prospect hummer" yet, slightly turned off by not seeing on vinyl, and for no other reason (huge fan of la bunyan). did it make it to plastic? sooperficial.

shudder

Diggedy Derek said:

hmm... I read somewhere (can't rememeber where, so take it with a grain of salt) that prospect hummer was less of a collaboration, and more just vashti singing songs written for her by AC...

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
That might be right actually- for it sounds like a dialogue even if it isn't one though! Certainly Vashti said that it pushed her quite hard, saying "they had me singing in a new way" etc.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Bumping this up again. It's weird, I've gone sort of cold on the AC album. It sounds great when I listen to it, but I don't get round to wanting to listen to it much. It's somehow joyous but non-essential. Odd!

SMorlighem

Hhhmm, heard it for a couple of weeks & not really 'feeling' it, but maybe it's not time yet (the slsk rip I downloaded is quite bad-sounding, I guess it affects my listenings), and I might prefer their live versions too, saw them play most of it a couple of times last year, teh way they tie the songs together is impressive (and too bad 'Fyckle Cycle' is not on the forthcoming LP but on the 'Grass' 7", it's a threat).

Heard Vashti's 'Lookaftering', released the same days as 'Feels', nice & anachronical, but not as strong as the 'Prospect Hummer' EP, of course (no AC crew on it).

Best forthcoming records : Broadcast's 'Tender Buttons' & Deerhoof's 'The Runners Four'.

blissblogger

i think it's fabulous, especially when they get away from the songful and into more ambienty/spatial zones w/ “Daffy Duck”, “Loch Raven” and most of “Banshee Beat” , and with the ending of "Turn Into Something" which is also the end of the album. "Bees" and "Flesh Canoe" also very good 'n' weird, and "The Purple Canoe" is excitingly dynamic especially at the end. Overall it's a successful integration of their abstracty side and their cutesy-mimsy side.

definitely hearing the mercury rev thing (funny as well as reading derek say that on his blog, a friend of mine, andy battaglia, said that), if it's early rev that's all to the good though

fluffy

think it's amazing, grass is an amazing song with a syd barrett like gleeful/wistful ineffable quality that confounds any description, and the stuff closer to 'here comes the indian' is wonderful too.