Run the Road 2

gumdrops

Here's the tracklisting:

1. Low Deep Feat. Kano, Ghetto, Big Seac, Demon & Doctor – Get Set (Run The Road Edition)
2. Doctor And Davinche – Gotta Man?
3. JME – Serious (Run The Road Remix)
4. Big Seac – Nah Nah
5. Sway Feat. Bruza, Skinnyman, Pyrelli, Bigz & Triple Threat – Up Your Speed Remix
6. Ghetto Feat. Katie Pearl – Run The Road
7. Plan B – Sick 2 Def (Acoustic)
8. Kano Feat. Demon & Ghetto – Mic Check Remix
9. Crazy Titch – World Is Crazy
10. Lady Sovereign – Little Bit Of Shhh! (DJ Wonder Remix)
11. Klashnekoff – Can’t You See?
12. Mizz Beats Feat. Wiley, Jammer, Earz, JME & Sier – Saw It Comin
13. Trimbal – They Gave Him A Inch
14. No Lay – Unorthadox Chick
15. Bear Man Feat. Doctor And Fender – Drink Beer Remix
16. Dynasty Crew – Bare Face Dynasty

Have yet to hear my copy, but I cant help wondering what on earth Sway, Plan B and Klashnekoff are doing on there. An acoustic track shouldnt be on ANY grime comp. I'm guessing Plan B is just on there as he's on 679, but Cap Back on RTR1 was always one of the weakest IMO, and his single was basically like folk-meets-UK hip hop. Still, will be interesting to see what the mainstream reception to a second major grime comp will be...

Last edited:

Fiddy

gumdrops reading the rwd story might give you an insight as to why the compilation includes likes of klash, plan b and sway... don't think of this as a strictly grime comp, much more about mc's.

boy better know

I'm Serious
gumdrops said:
Have yet to hear my copy, but I cant help wondering what on earth Sway, Plan B and Klashnekoff are doing on there. An acoustic track shouldnt be on ANY grime comp. I'm guessing Plan B is just on there as he's on 679, but Cap Back on RTR1 was always one of the weakest IMO, and his single was basically like folk-meets-UK hip hop. Still, will be interesting to see what the mainstream reception to a second major grime comp will be...

This echoes a post i made on the rwd forum. I'd add Skinnyman, Sovereign & (although many will disagree), No Lay to the list of people who shouldn't really be on there.

I would also have liked to see the likes of Cold Blooded, Roadside and SLK on there. Apart from Doctor, Bearman, No Lay & Dynasty it's pretty much focused on East London.

I'll still buy it though, as it does look good, apart from a few minor criticisms. Also, the DVD should be worth getting.

gumdrops

Fiddy said:
gumdrops reading the rwd story might give you an insight as to why the compilation includes likes of klash, plan b and sway... don't think of this as a strictly grime comp, much more about mc's.

well i wouldnt think of it as a grime comp if that wasnt what the press release said and what everyone is told about RTR! i thought RTR was meant to be for GRIME and be a grime comp series. having plan b, klash et al on it is like jungle mania in 94 including a track by derek b. still, theres some good stuff on here.

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
i don't see what the big deal is. klashnekoff is a good MC, capable of spitting over hip hop, grime, dancehall or reggae (check his freestyle on the welcome to jamrock/world a music riddim). a lot of 'grime' MCs aren't strictly grime anyway (e.g. riko, kano, durrty goodz). it's stupid to get all divisive about shit like this.

gumdrops

but this track hes got on here is a straight up uk hip hop one, its not like hes rapping on a grime beat.

people dont like the idea of grime MCs doing uk hip hop-type tracks (myself included admittedly), but they seem okay with MCs doing dancehall-type tracks. not sure why. maybe cos its more believable as theres a jamaican community in the UK, whereas there isnt an african american one.

back to RTR2 though, this has got some *really* good tracks. trim's track is great despite the annoying chorus from the mitchell brothers, and makes me think hes almost like grime's roots manuva.

Last edited:

Red Rooster

The problem I have with the Run The Road comps is that the people putting them together are picking out the most hip hop sounding grime possible.

Some of the tracks are good - I like the Bearman track for it's energy levels.

The Mizz Beats track is also brilliant (but again very hip-hop-esque).

If they want to represent grime and market it to the kind of people who have discovered it through Dizzee Rascal, and dare I say it - the Rephlex comps, they need to employ more bass driven producers to make the beats, and drop all these stringy hip hop rip offs.

Get Set is by far the most toy grime track I have ever heard. It's so cheesy and manufactured it just doesn't really cut it for me at all.

I hope the next comp will contain some Footsie, Wiley, Ruff Sqwad, Plasticman, Alias, Wizzbit style beats - I think that sound will actually gain more supporters than the UK Hip Hop sound, and it is essentially the beats which make the sound, followed closely by the spitting techniques and uk lyrics of the emcees.

I hope this compilation doesn't harm the sound as an exportable genre though.

boomnoise

♫
what a woefully depressing review. i really don't understand the negativity. quality hasn't vastly dropped. people are only jaded because grime has become a victim of its own success and media interest. for every one person who isn't feeling grime / run the road 2, there will hopefully be many others dicovering it for the first time and getting as exicited as we did a few years ago. i for one am still excited. run the road 2 doesn't encapsulate what is exciting me the most but it's bringing grime to a wider audience and i don't think you can knock that depspite personal gripes with the tracklist.

Raw Patrick

"here's the stylus review, few points its hard to disagree with, but it seems a bit too eager to pronounce the death of grime on the strength of one major label comp on 679."

This is probably true - I wrote the review quick in response to RTR2 completely bumming me out though. I do think the things that I really liked have been lost in grime tho'.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
That's the most asinine, poorly-considered review I've read in ages.

The first paragraph was mind boggling.

Last edited:

gumdrops

Red Rooster said:
The problem I have with the Run The Road comps is that the people putting them together are picking out the most hip hop sounding grime possible.

i had this same problem with the first comp, but at least that had tracks that were ready proven in the scene. those hip hoppy tracks are part of the scene, like it or not, but yeah, it would be great if more dance-styled tracks made it on too (not sure how many of those there would be though, as it seems that many of the vocal tracks these days cant help but be hip hoppy).

what i dont get is why 679 just didnt just put all the big tracks of this year onto RTR2. yeah, the core audience might not buy it, but thats not who these comps are aimed at really is it? its a bit weird 679 putting this together cos its like theyre trying to dictate to the scene rather than the other way round. a RTR2 which had stuff like murkle man, underground, prangman, boogieman and tracks like that would have been so much better. people outside the scene dont know these tracks.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Logan Sama said:
That's the most asinine, poorly-considered review I've read in ages.

The first paragraph was mind boggling.

But isn' it true, to a point? I must admit, I don't go to other UK urban boards (RWD or wherever) but I started a RtR2 thread and it sunk without a trace. People just don't seem very excited about this one.