new underground resistance is amazing

S

simon silverdollar

anyone heard the recent underground resistance stuff? It's HUGE but they seem to get very little attention nowadays. currently, UR seem to be favouring really blissy, ultra-melodic stuff, heavy on the epic and emotive strings.

so, they might be a little unfashionable now but check out:
-aguila
-windchime
-transition.

'windchime' in particular is gorgeous.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Yeah, you have to wonder what kind of world we live in where this stuff is completely unnoticed while dull-as-fuck r'n'b-hop is all over the charts. I am not sure that this is a big change for UR, they always had a very blissy, melodic strain going on. It just used to be buried under all the heavy aggressive techno and electro.

kingofcars

UR's output has been pretty consistently decent for the past few years, definitely, though attention has really shifted away from them since 'knights of the jaguar'...
i agree, the blissy strain has always been there ('eye of the storm', 'jupiter jazz', etc) - it's just become the primary focus as of late.
the recent red planet stuff has also been good.

detroit's output in general has been solid lately - theo parrish and kdj have been hogging the spotlight for the past few years, but there's plenty of other stuff that warrants attention. dj 3000's motech label puts out some interesting arabic-inspired techno...electrofunk puts out good, if not exactly exciting, err...electrofunk. pi gao movement continues to put out the weird-as-fuck drexciyan electro...

dominic

Beast of Burden
"eye of the storm" is an all-time favorite of mine

i need to check their new stuff

but yeah, i think dance music is going to go back in this direction

Last edited:

Tim F

"Transition" is a stunner as all fule know.

I think UR's rep is gonna get big again over the next 12 months 'cos Detroit is very fashionable in Europe righdaboudnow.

I'm hoping the nu-beat-pop revival I predicted a while back will also finally make an appearance.

mpc

wasteman
(hold tight all the mans with Underground Resistance garms).

i don't like 'transition', but there is a lot of good UR stuff.

'aguila' is off the chain.

notoriousJ.I.M

S² - Slide is proper hi-tech funk biznizz, and there's been a spate of decent funk fuelled 7"s of late, like May Ya Ya as well as some quite ropey stuff. UR never went away though and will continue to amaze and dissapoint in equal measure, but when they're good they're untouchable.

S

simon silverdollar

ambrose said:
isnt transition quite old? like 3 yrs? or is that "new ur"?
yeah it is but i'm still counting it cuz it was still released after what many (wrongly, in my opinion) would consider UR's 'peak'.

kingofcars

nubeat revival sounds a-ok in my books.

i second the recommendation on that S2 record.
UR in weird detuned electrofunk mode...which seems to be the other direction their exploring lately. it's good to keep the blissed-out balanced w/ the freaked-out...

just checked out samples of the upcoming UR 7"s at submerge - indeed, they're very good.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
I wouldn't say I've always loved the idea of UR much more than the actual records, but that's almost the case. How couldn't I adore the fusion of revolutionary politics, techno, militaria, myth, comics, SF, maroon/pirate counter-history, oceanic esoterrorism, wacked out science, the whole 'Afro-Germanic' discontinuum... But could any record live up to that?

What do ppl think is UR's best stuff?

S

simon silverdollar

k-punk said:

knights of the jaguar!

but i'm also a big fan of the dramatic hardness of the x-101 stuff: there's something intensely cerebral as well as very physical about it. a little like villalobos in that respect, perhaps.

dominic

Beast of Burden
k-punk said:

"eye of the storm" and "g-force"

but i say this having lost track of them in mid-90s

and i'm pretty keen to check out their new stuff, based on silverdollar's remarks

kingofcars

the whole 'sonic' ep. it covers the different sides of the UR sound very well...deep, paranoid, ecstatic, enlightened...

drexciya's 'wavejumper'

blake baxter's release on UR is an all-time fav ('when a thought becomes you'!!!!), but sort of doesn't fit in w/ the rest of the label's aesthetic.

kingofcars

and yea the x-101 stuff is really great.
matthew dear seems to be working w/ those ideas under his audion guise as of late.

Ronan

best UR for me knights of the jaguar, jupiter jazz.

my UR stuff is confusingly labelled, it's sort of difficult to really be definitive about UR, since so many of the tracks are just straight DJ tools. love when they do epic stuff though.

also Los Hermanos-Quetzal is an old favourite of mine, a friend calls it Jaguar's "sad cousin".

mms

sometimes
they still put out some good stuff but some of the latest stuff is gash- just stuff like aquanuats and someof the los hermanos stuff - transition is quite old now .

there does appear to be some top detroit stuff going on at the moment tho , last dj bone on d1 recordings, the last theo parrish and howard thomas on mahogani music in general as well as a tasty comp called'in the dark , the soul of detroit ' show there is still some life there ,
did anyone catch kenny larkins last lp - a sort of blues comedy techno lp

the arpanet lp out on rephlex is stunning too as it goes - short cold awesome tracks

for me it's still the final frontier (for the acid at the end of the universe track )-
galaxy to galaxy - the revolution for change lp and red planet 06 blake baxters' when a though becomes you ' and anything drexciyan as the standout bits of urs back cat