Musical Dynasties

Woebot

Family operations seem quite common in even the most hostile businesses, off the top of my head you have the Bush Bros (Politics), the Amis's (Lit), The Scotts (Movies) but I was thinking how little trans-generational activity there is in music.

Couldn't think of many apart from the Jacksons and the Wilsons, though the parents in each of those cases weren't really successful musicians. Wasn't Elvis Costello's father a bandleader? Oh and Ziggy Marley, Femi Kuti and Julian Lennon hardly count do they (poor carbon-copies)....

anhhh

neville brothers
isley brothers
tim buckley and son
john coltrane and ravi
ian dury & son (baxter dury?)
bob dylan, leonard cohen, etc.
some more in country music
sons of marvin gaye, bobby womack, etc.

john eden

male pale and stale
Kermit/Robin. :p

It's conceivable that the Marley legacy will go interesting places with Damian post "Welcome to Jamrock", tho.

I might have dreamt it but didn't one of the fathers of NWA have some involvement in the original version of "respect yourself"?

Rambler

Awanturnik
The Bach family, obviously ;)

Seems to be something you get a lot in Indian music for example, where the skills get taught by one generation to the next; the Khan family (Imrat, Vilayat, etc.) includes four generations of world-class sitar players (to date).

The Stockhausens - Markus (son, trumpet) is a mean player, and some of the other kids play too.

xero

was minusone
john eden said:
I might have dreamt it but didn't one of the fathers of NWA have some involvement in the original version of "respect yourself"?

Eazy E's dad was Charles Wright of CW & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band who did the original of 'express yourself' - must have been one of the easier sample clearance deals - "Dad, can I?"

gabriel

The Heatwave
droid said:
King Jammy - John John

also jammy's other sons Jam II and CJ (both of whom produce and run labels called Jam II and, er, CJ) plus jammy's brother (i think) Trevor James who's also a producer

of course the marleys also include singers ziggy, kymani and julian plus stephen, who produced 'welcome to jamrock' and its original b-side, 'hey girl', as well as singing and producing other stuff

actually there's lots and lots of 'transgenerational musical' activity in jamaican music but i can't imagine you want tonnes of these examples. here's one anyway - leftside of production duo leftside & esco is the son of lloyd parkes.

john eden

male pale and stale
Frank 'n' Nancy.

Oh yeah and I another I vaguely remember is something like:

a) Alvin Stardust's son or daughter is... someone
b) The drum 'n' bass guy who did Brand New Funk is someone's son.

They might even be the same thing.

AshRa

john eden said:
Frank 'n' Nancy.

Oh yeah and I another I vaguely remember is something like:

a) Alvin Stardust's son or daughter is... someone
b) The drum 'n' bass guy who did Brand New Funk is someone's son.

They might even be the same thing.

Was it J Majik? We had him round our house once and he got thrashed at Mario after bigging himself up as Gamesmaster. It was only after he left that I found out who he was - which meant I missed my opportunity to ask (tease) him about remixing 'My Coo Ca Choo'...

john eden

male pale and stale
AshRa said:
Was it J Majik? We had him round our house once and he got thrashed at Mario after bigging himself up as Gamesmaster. It was only after he left that I found out who he was - which meant I missed my opportunity to ask (tease) him about remixing 'My Coo Ca Choo'...

Great story, but I think it was Adam F! :D

jack

AshRa said:

Adam F I think

mms

sometimes
my mate was in the same class as adam f at his posh public school
'Alvin Stardust and Tina Goddard - she was a B list actress in the 70s /early 80s. Alv used to turn up at the Sports day in his roller.
incidentally Tina was previously married to Tom Baker of Dr Who fame'.

juliand

The Carter Family
The Staple Singers

Jonah Sharp's kids have a band called Slot Machine, they're punk.

Woebot

john eden said:

minusone said:
Eazy E's dad was Charles Wright of CW & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band who did the original of 'express yourself' - must have been one of the easier sample clearance deals - "Dad, can I?"

http://www.woebot.com/movabletype/archives/000118.html

lol!

mms said:
my mate was in the same class as adam f at his posh public school
'Alvin Stardust and Tina Goddard - she was a B list actress in the 70s /early 80s. Alv used to turn up at the Sports day in his roller.
incidentally Tina was previously married to Tom Baker of Dr Who fame'.

i went an interviewed adam at his family home in 94 (on the back of those very early tunes). we were hustled through the kitchen at double-speed ;)

-----------

some really good ones here though!!!!!

Last edited:

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
The Strauss family
Leopold and WA Mozart
Maurice and Jean Michel Jarre
Mike, Sally and Terry Oldfield
The later incarnations of Tangerine Dream with Jerome Froese joining his father
Brian and Roger Eno
Cem and Can Oral (Jammin Unit and Khan)
Poka and Stella Michelson
...and there's plenty of groups involving brothers (Orbital, Gentle Giant, Somatic Responses, 22 Pistepirkko etc etc).