Dizzee & Band Aid

johneffay

I've been perusing the BBC's review of the Band Aid thing along with people's reactions to it here, and lots of people seem to think that Dizzee Rascal is the worse thing on it. I've not heard it myself (and I'm hoping I never do ;) ), but I'd like to ask the Dizzee fans who I know hang out here what they think about it. What I'm wondering is whether he's really that bad, or if people are just complaining because they can't cope with the interruption to the flow of a song that, amazingly, many of them seem to hold in high regard.

Last edited:

Rambler

Awanturnik
I've not heard the new version yet (just caught the tail of it a couple of times on the radio) but after they played it on 6 Music's breakfast show the other day loads of people were e-mailing in to say the exact opposite - really weak, disappointing version, apart from Dizzee's bit. But then 6Music listeners are more likely to have broader tastes, and the Beeb's message boards tend to attract Dizzee-haters. Interesting that they all want to talk about him though ...

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
The Dizzee bit doesn't really work, that's the problem. It's in the middle 8, and they've got him trying to pack too much into just a couple of bars.

"Here to us, raise a glass for everyone" / <<< incomprehensibly fast rap >>> / "Here to them, underneath that burning sun" / <<< incomprehensibly fast rap >>>

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Aha, the lyrics are on the radio 1 website-

Tom Chaplin (Keane):
Here's to you

Justin Hawkins (Darkness): Raise a glass for everyone

Dizzee Rascal:
Spare a thought this yuletide for the deprived
If the table was turned would you survive

Busted:
Here's to them

Justin Hawkins (Darkness):
Underneath that burning sun

Dizzee Rascal:
You ain't gotta feel guilt just selfless
Give a little help to the helpless

Those lyrics are quite tidy aren'y they? But they don't sound so good on the record. Production a bit weak on the beats, seen.

johneffay

Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Just saw the 'premier' on the telly. Dizzie's the best thing on it.

So did I. Not sure if I'd single him out for special praise, but his bit more or less fits and doesn't sound like John Barnes rapping.

It just goes to prove Ramblers point about BBC message boards.

Woebot

mms said:
i turned it off, it was maddonas speech before that forewarned me.
am i going to hell?
:eek:
this single MUST be a load of cack. i was thinking of arranging a "burn a copy" in trafalgar square (aah, but you see you'd have to buy it and thus contribute the money to charity, before damning it creatively)

and how clear is it WHERE the money is going? is it the genocide in sudan? very uncertain who precisely will benefit, but i COULD probably tell you horrific amounts amount what artists are involved, that joss stone cried (good), that dizzy didnt make the group photo, that macca HAD to be involved this time, that justin arseface squabbled with bono et(fuckin)cetera.....

nick.K

gabba survivor
it looked like a PR event.

surely they could have done it much better - bringing on Boris Johnson and John Lydon - more personalities instead of anodyne chart fluff.

I've not heard the track but I was swept up in original BandAid when it happened. I was kinda hoping this might be good, let's hope the undergroud replies with a decent track

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
this single MUST be a load of cack. i was thinking of arranging a "burn a copy" in trafalgar square (aah, but you see you'd have to buy it and thus contribute the money to charity, before damning it creatively)

and how clear is it WHERE the money is going? is it the genocide in sudan? very uncertain who precisely will benefit, but i COULD probably tell you horrific amounts amount what artists are involved, that joss stone cried (good), that dizzy didnt make the group photo, that macca HAD to be involved this time, that justin arseface squabbled with bono et(fuckin)cetera.....

well, i'm happy to give some money or whatever to charity, hopefully most of it won't be swallowed up in administration but there is so much else that isn't highlighted that we're helpless to do cos it is'nt authorised by us etc.
Personally though i just don't want to hear the record as it's gonna put me off.
buyig it then publically burning it might be a goo idea but its a bit extreme, the record is gonna eventually create mountains of waste anyway, television airtime, radio airtime, cd singles, dvds and t-shirts..

Woebot

mms said:
Personally though i just don't want to hear the record as it's gonna put me off.
like nick.K i found the original really moving (wipes away tiny tear) i did.

Woebot

mms said:
crikey i didn't even when i was nine.
you were spinning on your head in dem arcades werent you mms
wink.gif

its sad to admit it, but yes, i was quite moved as a (gets out calculator) 13 year-old

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
you were spinning on your head in dem arcades werent you mms
wink.gif

its sad to admit it, but yes, i was quite moved as a (gets out calculator) 13 year-old

no i was a chorister singing in Truro Cathedral at the time so i probably thought the singing was shit and the song was simple :D

hint

party record with a siren
mms said:
no i was a chorister singing in Truro Cathedral at the time so i probably thought the singing was shit and the song was simple :D

"needs more pipe organ" ;)

craner

Beast of Burden
<em>so tonight thank god it's them instead of you</em>

I found the original to be somewhat fetid, egoistic, shabby, vile, offensive, and absurd.

It's the most corrupt song in the history of pop music!

Have you all gone mad?

craner

Beast of Burden
<em>But say a prayer
Pray for the other ones
At Christmas time it's hard
But when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing
Is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring
There are the clanging chimes of doom</em>

What am I talking about? I love this song!