Mu

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Mu is Maurice Fulton and wife Mutsumi Kanamori. Usually a lot of electro-clash sounds pretty similar- flashing fat synth riffs and quizzical, angular vocals but with little to connect the two. With vocals always exuding the same detachment, there's very little to mark bands out as distinct. Them seem to all tap into the same unconscious memory-bank without doing anything different with it.

I like Mu though, partly because of a musical palette which takes in 23 Skidoo, Alexander Robotnik, NY disco- it's thrillingly chaotic. And the vocals, crucially, match this chaos- Kanamori is as bonkers as Damo Suzuki. A surreal jumble that's got a perversity that makes most electro clash look hopelessly sterile.

Anyone else a fan?

Jim Daze

I used a Mu track for a fashion show recently, the fashionistas loved it.
Shouty japanese bird over discordant guitar riffs. Maurice Fulton is quite a cool guy, he lives in Sheffield I heard.

mms

sometimes
Really liked their first ep with let's get sick on it , really mental unusual stuff. almost like soca ministry or something.
sheffield seems to be enjoying a kinda resurgence of quality unusual electronic stuff, fat truckers and m.i.a, the lovers and jason buckle etc..

stelfox

Beast of Burden
MIA is from shepherd's bush, though.
her name is an acronym of her initials but she also chose it because it stands for "missing in acton".

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i do like mu a lot, though i prefer fulton is his ladyvipb guise. he's playing at fabric tomorrow, i think.

mms

sometimes
yep well, nah i'm not that into her rhymes, they're a bit six form daisy age, which might appeal to some people but not me, the b side track on sunshowers is alright tho.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i just realised how horribly sexist that reads... oops. wasn't meant to be. just an observation after reading a piece in the independent last week or so.

B

be.jazz

I really thought that this thread was going to be about this:

B00005LETT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Diggedy Derek said:
Mu
Anyone else a fan?

yes, me.
I really dug that record and I dig maurice fulton's productions of !!!
I don't hear the influences that were mentioned, it stands on its own
dunno if I would buy another one though

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:
There's no sheffield "scene" as such, just a bunch of old and new mates -- no big barriers unless you're a tosser.

yeah i kinda realise that, seems pleasantly interchangable etc, but busy doing wicked things.
btw, do you know what happened to rob gordon, early warp producer?
I guess he's still a sheffield resident.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Dunno your alternative Mu there Woebot, but the Don Cherry/Ed Blackwell Mu is a much cherished record. It's like a school music class has been seized by an alien consciousness a la Close Encounters, and they're making intricate, infinitely detailed xylophone / toy percussion / plastic trumpet symphonies like seasoned gamelan masters.

Flyboy

I really adore 'Let's Get Sick' - the drums especially drive me crazy.

(First post here... Looks like an interesting place.)

Jay Vee

"Tell You Something" never fails to blow me away. I absolutely love the production on the MU album. There's a new one coming soon, I think.

scissors

So.... has anybody heard We Love Guys Named Luke / Paris Hilton yet?
I really liked their Output v.3 compilation track.

nick.K

gabba survivor
MU in perfromance is as impressive as the sound. There's such strong connections between how acts on sage and the audio. She opened for Liquid Liquid. I was transfixed - she moves like she sings, backflips and contorts her way through every song in supa-tight (and maybe it was traditional dress), her hair tied up, she looked other-worldly. I wasn't sure what I was seeing, but I cound understand that her set only lasted a fifteen, twently minutes.