Fantastic Photos from the early '60s

Woebot

Found a book called ABC Television's "Thank Your Lucky Stars" an annual for the UK television show of the 1960s. Its like the perfect companion to Nik Cohn's "AWOPBOPALOOBOP"

The photos are uniformly lovely (done my best to reproduce them here, but I dont have ALL day yunnuh!)

The ones of people who are still well-known are fantastic, great photos of The Stones and The Beatles etc, but the ones of realtively unknown artists are even better. Check it out!

The Bachelors

Woebot

Benice Swanson! Lordy Lordy! Is she supposed to be nice to look at. Dig the bust profile!

Woebot

Del Shannon! What an evil lemon-curdled mug! Typical yanks innit! Over-paid, over-sexed and over here.

Woebot

Tom Jones. But that bird in the audience is whats interesting. I reckon she's not as old as she looks, just dates from a time when young people dressed like 50 year olds (as opposed to these days when 50 year-olds dress like teenagers, grumble grumble)

Last edited:

Woebot

Millie Small. Round of applause. The only black face in the whole book. The UKs first Reggae Hit with "My Boy lollipop" innit. What a sweetheart!

Woebot

Twinkle. Who or what was Twinkle? To give him his dues i reckon MC MC could have told us.

Woebot

Is this Joe Strummer?

At the last page of the book theres a photo of the audience. Maybe its supposed to be some band sitting in the audience, but I don't think so...

Anyway this kid MUST be Joe Strummer... Maybe someone knows?

Raw Patrick

The creature in the Silkie pic must be a seal bcz a silkie is a mythical Irish seal that can turn into a person (or maybe vice versa.)

Twinkle did a great raw-as-fuck, really lo-fi track called Terry in which Twinkle's boyf, the titular Terry, dies speeding away on his motorcycle and Twinkle tearfully asks for him to wait at the gates of heaven. I think it was actually earlier than the thematically similar American death discs. Twinkle was really posh but rebelled against her upbringing to become a TOP POP STAR!

Woebot

Raw Patrick said:
The creature in the Silkie pic must be a seal bcz a silkie is a mythical Irish seal that can turn into a person (or maybe vice versa.)

Twinkle did a great raw-as-fuck, really lo-fi track called Terry in which Twinkle's boyf, the titular Terry, dies speeding away on his motorcycle and Twinkle tearfully asks for him to wait at the gates of heaven. I think it was actually earlier than the thematically similar American death discs. Twinkle was really posh but rebelled against her upbringing to become a TOP POP STAR!

thanks patrick! good info there!

mms

sometimes
funny thing about millie small , she did a single called 'enoch power' praising enoch powells famous rivers of blood speech and politics, the b side was an upbeat bubblegum version of nick drake's track 'mayfair', also the name of a magazine she later appeared in nude.