TOK review...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i'm just wondering what folks make of this. it's funny how when ragga tunes enter the pop arena, people's demands of them appear to somehow change.
anyway, anyone heard vendetta's season's riddim. it's a bit like a reprise of the drop leaf (the riddim footprints is on) but kinda good. the TOK quite like footprints, but different enough to be ok.
the sean paul is totally scorching, tho.

mms

sometimes
what do people make of that turbulence lp?
the oen thats just come out - i will survive?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i'm a pretty big fan of turbulence and like that album a lot. he has a great flow and can change it up between raspy and rough, sweet and songful with real ease. i dunno if the turbulence tracks are still up on breaking ranks, but i LOVE golden touch on in the streetz violin riddim and his version of shanty town. also prettyhappy with fantan mojah's stuff right now, too.
keep yer ears open for i-wayne's album, too, coz it's fantastic.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
stelfox said:
i'm just wondering what folks make of this. it's funny how when ragga tunes enter the pop arena, people's demands of them appear to somehow change.
anyway, anyone heard vendetta's season's riddim. it's a bit like a reprise of the drop leaf (the riddim footprints is on) but kinda good. the TOK quite like footprints, but different enough to be ok.

That is, more or less, exactly what I thought about it!

There are certainly tunes on the 1st TOK LP that are musically more "conservative" than "Footprints". Yeah I think I heard Rodigan do a "Seasons" mix at the weekend on Kiss and I thought it was very good - Shaggy was on it if that's the one I am thinking of.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
is the album called i will survive tho marcus? i actually thought you were talking about songs if solomon!
anyway, the turbulence track you REALLY need to look out for is notorious on the scallawah riddim.

HAHAHA. i really have to pinch and punch john for luck today cos it seems like we're thinking all the same thoughts and saying the same things

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
notorious.jpg

stelfox said:
HAHAHA. i really have to pinch and punch john for luck today cos it seems like we're thinking all the same thoughts and saying the same things

You know how we roll!

boomnoise

♫
the moses i track on scallawah 'invaders' does it for me. paranoid dancehall with a geopolitical metaphor (or it might not be) - great!

mms

sometimes
stelfox said:
is the album called i will survive tho marcus? i actually thought you were talking about songs if solomon!
anyway, the turbulence track you REALLY need to look out for is notorious on the scallawah riddim.

yep that lovely track he did is i will survive - i meant i believe.
he's quite something i think like a better sizla in a way

Eric

Mr Moraigero
stelfox said:

speaking of which anyone heard his new record? supposedly out late next month ... I'm curious about what is going to be on there, after all this time.

also the new Damian Marley is excellent, if gossip is to be believed.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Notorious is just the bomb. We were listening to it just night before last (as part of our new... ;) ) at high volume... what an amazing piece of music.

Yeah the Damian Marley tune is STILL good. (Owt happen with the Dillinger remix?)

Hold on for the backlash.

Fuck the haters.

john eden

male pale and stale
2stepfan said:
Yeah the Damian Marley tune is STILL good. (Owt happen with the Dillinger remix?)

Apparently it's MURDER001 by Ray Keith - which is a good track, but is just a looped sample of "out on the streets they call it murder" lyric.

There is a "Welcome to England" thing doing the rounds also, which is not nearly as good as the original.

Also talk of a grime/garage version for all you youngsters into this new fangled "beat" music: Paleface vs Damian Marley - Jamrock (4/4 Bassline Mix) (White Label)

Oh and Rodigan has a dubplate version of "Jamrock" with Damian chatting about selectors in London and stuff. :cool:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i believe is a really nice album. i will survive is on lion paw's 9/11 riddim, one of my fave one drops of the year. Stop Your Bad Mind by Nadine Sutherland is the one to get on that riddim, though

gabriel

The Heatwave
it's not really a very good review.

the one drop revival was happening way before jamrock hit big, and really that is hugely dissimilar in style to most of the one drop that's doing well right now - it's a dj tune really, not a vocal (ie sung) tune. and there's still loads of "dazzling lightspeed future-disco" riddims coming out. so not sure what that's about really

don't see at all how footprints is any more musically conservative than other tok songs. i think less than most in fact - that weird off key singing doesn't seem too conservative to me!

and i wasn't the biggest fan of drop leaf but i'm pretty staggered at the description of it as "some bloodless session-musician shit" ... if this guy got on a mic and said that in a dancehall anywhere in the world, he'd get rushed! LOL. not that that makes him wrong, obviously, but anyway...

OFF TOPIC - the sean paul album is really good. all the producers & artists on it are jamaican except for daddy yankee, nina sky & luny tunes - who are all puerto rican, ie fellow caribbeans. i really like that, have to big up sean paul for resisting the yankee crossover approach. it features sp's cuts on a bunch of recent big riddims including applause, stepz, jonkanoo and seasons and some old ones too like tri-fecta, rebirth, egyptian and masterpiece. there's a wicekd track produced by sp's brother jigzag, some fine fine leftside productions and a couple of new ones from don corleon as well. a couple of one drop tunes, some downtempo dancehall and a bunch of jiggy bashment. plus one reggaeton tune, obviously with daddy yankee and produced by luny tunes. it's gonna be big i reckon..

the jungle remix of welcome to england is a BIG BIG tune, can't sleep on that one

gabriel

The Heatwave
stelfox said:
actually the further off-topic we go go here the better this thread gets

LOL

the new assassin album (infiltration) is nice too - there's a wicked reggae tune on there called Respect Due where he bigs up a load of 60s/70s/80s reggae & dancehall foundation artists. plus all his big bashment hits of course. interestingly (or not), if you ignore as a man on sleepy dog whcih is the first track on the album, assassin and sean paul's albums open with the same two riddims in the same order - stepz and applause.

ho hum

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Interesting the Sean Paul will have a reggaeton track on there. Riding the hype I guess ... Interested to hear it though. I like Luny Tunes' style ... The Assassin album, it sounds like, might be a little more interesting in some ways, given that most of those SP tunes have already been around for quite awhile (though obviously not in the mainstream). Maybe Egyptian/Masterpiece will have a US midwest revival!! :)

Actually re D Marley I was thinking less about "Jamrock" the tune than "Jamrock" the soon-to-come album ...