Red Bull Music Academy

redcrescent

Someone (bassnation) mentioned this in passing somewhere and I've been meaning to do the same in a bit more detail.

The RBMA is a annual event held in a different location every year where producers and DJs from all over the world meet for a week of sessions and musical exchange. This year's has just taken place in Rome.
The site is contains archived sessions with a wide variety of guests (the latest ones up are by Bass legend DJ Magic Mike, Tiga, arranger David Matthews and Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie) from years past and is, in general, a pretty nifty resource, I think.

Maybe someone here will decide to apply for next year. I remember asking for the application just out of curiosity (me = deck skillz near zero) and I got a CD-ROM with a few sessions, a short film and a form with 50 questions, ranging from:
"What 5 records would you start a night with/bring the night to a peak with/play as the sun comes up?",
"Let’s pretend you’d play a fully packed club at 1:30 am. Suddenly the PA breaks down completely. What are the three things you do first?",
"Which record sleeve designs would you happily throw on a
bonfire?",
"Has any sample left you feeling angry – if so, why?",
"Are there any cover versions that you hate fiercely?",
"The ten records from your country (or city) that you would definitely play to your fellow participants at the Academy",
"How do you organise your record collection? Which style demands the biggest space? What is your favourite style?",
to "On a scale of 0 to 10, how would you rate yourself in each of the skills below? (0 being ‘not at all’ and 10 being ‘brilliant’) : Mixing/Scratching/3 Turntable Set-Up/Production/Engineering/Live Instruments (which ones)?"

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
One of the Tribal Gathering raves was a big launch event for Red Bull, we all got cans of it free and also the first issue of Muzik magazine.

I was a bit wasted but thought it tasted like dental mouthwash. Never touched the stuff again.

The cover story on the issue of Muzik was about DJ groupies iirc. Another awful step towards superstar DJ culture.

martin

----
The cover story on the issue of Muzik was about DJ groupies iirc. Another awful step towards superstar DJ culture.

I remember that, wasn't it a bunch of pics of some grizzled white rasta with shades, looking hungover, posing on a hotel bed with some Loaded models in hot pants and knee-high boots?

"Are there any cover versions that you hate fiercely?",
Bauhaus doing Telegram Sam really gets my goat.

john eden

male pale and stale
I remember that, wasn't it a bunch of pics of some grizzled white rasta with shades, looking hungover, posing on a hotel bed with some Loaded models in hot pants and knee-high boots?

Bauhaus doing Telegram Sam really gets my goat.
You can read it online, there is a mad archive of them all. That’s not in there but you do get a model sitting on a record box and a topless female club promoter.

All a bit grim.

(the nonce review is in issue 1 also)

martin

----
My mistake, it's in Issue 13. "Hotel madness". Worse than I remember. Also contains your fellow St Albanite, Photek.