Wasps

martin

----
I was talking to someone on the weekend, and we both reached the same conclusion - we haven't seen one wasp this summer. Not one.

This is really unusual, surely? None in my flat, none on the trains or buses. Am I just missing them, or has anyone else noted a distinct absence of wasps? What's going on?

labrat

hot on the heels of love
now you come to mention it I have'nt seen any this summer either, the're gods creatures but a fucking huge wasp-pyre wouldn't go amiss. The wasp problem is most acute in pub beer gardens but no,not even there.....odd.

I don't hate bees though....is this cos of the suicidal nature of their attacks?

john eden

male pale and stale
labrat said:
I don't hate bees though....is this cos of the suicidal nature of their attacks?

Bees are honourable, like the samurai.

Wasps on the other hand, are like US foreign policy. I'm glad they're gone but surely this is another example of the impending eco-apocalypse? Wait til the winter - it's gonna be like ragnarok, I tells ya.

martin

----
you say you back the ALF, want animal rights for all
liberate the pigs and cows who're up against the wall
but what about the humble wasp? what of his desires?
when you swat him with 'The Sun' and turn his nests to smoking pyres?

- Conflict

dHarry

martin said:
I was talking to someone on the weekend, and we both reached the same conclusion - we haven't seen one wasp this summer. Not one.

This is really unusual, surely? None in my flat, none on the trains or buses. Am I just missing them, or has anyone else noted a distinct absence of wasps? What's going on?

amazing - I was just about to ask around about this, as this time last year we were practically infested with them here in Ireland... none this year. Lots of bumble bees actually, but very few regular bees and NOT ONE WASP...

bassnation

the abyss
dHarry said:
amazing - I was just about to ask around about this, as this time last year we were practically infested with them here in Ireland... none this year. Lots of bumble bees actually, but very few regular bees and NOT ONE WASP...

well, theres a massive nest of aggressive wasps under the garage roof at my mums house in south wales, so i don't think they've died out completely.

mms

sometimes
i reckon daily mail readers have done away with them
does anyone recall the headline last year which read something like ' why are there so many wasps about '? with righteous fervour and indignation.

i have a feeling the london ecosystem is very fucked what with people growing exotic plants and other things- the weird patterns of bird habits over the last few years
i've noticed some weird waspy type new species hovering over my plants this year and some huge hornets too

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Melchior said:
Oh, can we start a thread on this? Is the venom directed at all AL types, or just the ones who dig up grannies?

Fuck them all and their granny-defilin' wasp-lovin' ways! :D

But yeah, another thread would be good.

fldsfslmn

excremental futurism
We are in the midst of a bit of a wasp epidemic here. A local newspaper reported that if you hang paper bags full of shredded newspaper in strategic locations, the wasps will mistake them for competing wasps' nests and stay away. I'm not entirely certain why this works.

tom pr

This thread was a right fucking pandora's box. I've barely seen a wasp all summer; had lunch outside today and the bastards were everywhere.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
I think the lack of wasps (up here anyway) is due to a mild spell in late winter followed by a cold early - mid spring. They wake up only to freeze to death.