army at utah rave

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Wow...that is scary and fucked up. On the other hand, what do you expect from Utah. I love how they arrested the security guards for drug possesion. The guards confiscated the drugs but according to the Sheriff they have "no legal authority to take and hold them".

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
That video footage is really fucked up. According to participants and organizers, the rave was completely legal and had all its permits in place. According to the Salt Lake City Tribune it was an 'illegal' rave where children were practically being forced to consume a wide range or terrifying drugs. Thus fully justifing groups of men in full assault gear and masks flying in in helicopters to kick the shit out of partygoers.

The one thing I haven't been able to ascertain is whether the armed guys were SWAT or National Guard. They are described as SWAT in the press, but their gear looks much more military. If it is the National Guard, are they even allowed to be used in that way?

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Well, Sploid is pretty much out as a lefty Drudge Report so it's not surprising that they'd find the fact that Bush was in Utah at the same time worth mentioning...I dunno if there's necessarily a (direct) connection though.

Still, part of me is wondering what the hell is out there in that desert...

hint

party record with a siren
Canada J Soup said:
Well, Sploid is pretty much out as a lefty Drudge Report so it's not surprising that they'd find the fact that Bush was in Utah at the same time worth mentioning...I dunno if there's necessarily a (direct) connection though.

Still, part of me is wondering what the hell is out there in that desert...

There have been similar events shut down at the same ranch in the past, so there's "history" there. Some kind of ongoing conflict between the landowner and the local authorities.

If Bush's visit to the area had any influence on proceedings, I imagine that it may well have upped the scale of the operation, if anything (the guys with camo, rifles and dogs were probably on alert already). I doubt that it was the main reason for the raid, though.